Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting parts from USA whilst on holiday

Getting parts from USA whilst on holiday

My folks are off to the states in April whilst they're there I was going to get my dad to pick me up some triggers for my Remmy 700. My dad is a shooter but not FAC holder.

Are there any problems with my dad bringing these back? Does the under $100 rule still pally as they're not technically being posted, he'll bring them back in his case.

Thanks,

Tim

don't know but i will be bringing more that $100 worth hmm like ill be paying the man some . scopes, brass and magpul gun parts are on the list .

SD Regular
    May I offer this advice. Have Dad buy it and then stick it in a US Postal Service Flat Rate Box or just a jiffybag and MAIL IT BACK TO THE UK. This will I promise you ensure avoiding all sorts of possible headache for the sake of just a few dollars which, if you haven't spent them al,l you'd just have to change back to sterling at a loss anyway. Put Dad's address as that of maybe his hotel or his rented condominium.

Quote Originally Posted by timbeech View Post
    My folks are off to the states in April whilst they're there I was going to get my dad to pick me up some triggers for my Remmy 700. My dad is a shooter but not FAC holder.

Are there any problems with my dad bringing these back? Does the under $100 rule still pally as they're not technically being posted, he'll bring them back in his case.

Thanks,

Tim
    hi tim,when I went over there I brought back lots of shooting kit &A few buck knives with no probs.ATB adrian

I didn't encounter any problems bringing back brass and bullets (plus lots of other goodies) from the US, I did however enclose a photocopy of my FAC in my suitcase. Whether of not this made a difference I don't know but I didn't have any issues.

I have imported items in my hold baggage many times ove the last 20 years or so.

Bullets, reloading tools, cases, scope sights, blackpowder accessories, Tipton cleaning rods (in my golf bag), knives, trigger upgrades, magazines, compound bow, arrows, etc. etc.

Never had a single problem.

Why would I have a problem - there is nothing illegal or questionable about the process.
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

Legally would you not need an import licence? I know a lot of US shops can't export components because the relevant licensing is very expensive.

No, because you are buying face to face in a retail environment and carrying items home in your hold baggage.

I have brought valuable items in my cabin baggage and had no issues. Had a good conversation with a TSA guy at security when he examined and admired a Zeiss scope in my briefcase.

The problems begin when you try to import via mail order. Many formerly useful US sources are now useless because of ITAR - and BATF and US Customs basically trying to shut down transatlantic trade.
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

Quote Originally Posted by timbeech View Post
    ...pick me up some triggers for my Remmy 700.
    Tim,
    When your Dad lands, he should go back to the check in counter and ask to speak with someone from TSA.

In the States, you do not need a license to buy parts for the gun. Only complete firearms or receivers (with serial numbers) require licenses. Likewise, when traveling, US citizens need only declare firearms or receivers.

The wildcard here is that your Dad is, assumedly, not an American. Hence, it stands to reason that the parts are being exported. Which could be problematic.

Again. Upon landing, I would ask for the TSA agent in charge and see what they say.

I looked at this last year when I went to Texas, I wanted to bring back trigger parts, and maybe a new bolt for my 10/22. I looked into the UK law, and that was fine, you can bring in firearms components as long as you have a FAC for the weapons they fit (need to take your FAC). I thought the UK would be the problem, it turns out the bigger problem is exporting from the USA, you are not allowed to export firearms componnents from the USA. If you are a US citizen it is easier as you can take your own gun parts out of the country and "forget" to bring them home.

The next question is what is a firearms component, from my research it seems that any gun component is, so triggers, scopes, bolts, barrels, actions. It would seem that stocks aren't and you can also export reloading equipment without much trouble (brass, presses, bullets,dies).

The TSA aren't the people to ask as they are only concerned with airport/airline/transport security, not export rules. There is plenty of anecdotal evidence of people bringing back trigger kits, barrels etc. without problem. Some of them were even told it is OK by TSA. It is ATF/customs that will get you in a lot of trouble if they find you exporting firearms components without the right export licence. The offence carries instant jail time in a federal prison, according to my internet research.

Is it likely your dad will get caught and get prison time for a trigger kit? Probably not. Is it worth taking the risk? In my view, probably not.

I ordered the trigger kit from a UK distributor and accepted that it cost 80% more than it did in the US. I did bring back a Foxpro caller though, about 60% cheaper than the UK.