Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NV add ons and side parallax

NV add ons and side parallax

I have been doing a bit of reading on NV add ons and i can't work out why you need a side parallax scope?

Surely if the scope is in focus before the addon is attached it will be in focus when its on?

and it is just me or are you quite limited in choice for a side parallax scope all i have found have been very cheap stuff or top end nothing in the middle?

i am looking to put it on 22-250 which currenty has a nice zeiss scope.

thanks

Andy7mm

you need the adjustable parallax because the lenses of the ADD ON will alter the focus of your sight picture, so you have to adjust it to suit.

SD Regular
    NV add ons tend to have a far shorter depth of field and so whilst your scope may look in focus across the viewing range, it will not through the add on. The focus capability of the add on is used to get a good sight picture on the reticle of your scope rather than on the target and so the parallax adjustment is used to focus the overall picture of the target through both devices. In essence you are focussing the sight picture at a different place than you normally would.

There are a number of very good, reasonably priced scopes with PA in the market. The Bushnell Elite seems to be one of the favourites of the NV world in the mid range - but it depends on what mag range you're seeking as to the availability.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

focus with IR is different from normal vision

focus /PE changes with range so yes if you focus at a set range and your target is always at that range then you don't have to touch it again

you dont need a side wheel a front PA will do the job just as well but is harder to operate

also you need a scope that works with the system some coatings cut IR transmission and some scopes flare inside this is not price dependant so expensive scopes can be totally unsuitable for this type of NV etc as can cheap scopes

I would try it on your scope as is and see if it works if it does for you then no problem

Hi Andy, I am a bit of a whizz when it comes to add-ons, having spent the last 18 months developing my own digi add-on. You need PA adjustment for all the reasons above and, as many have highlighted, the upper end scopes tend to have better lens coatings to gather as much light as possible, perfect for low light stalking, but the flipside is that they tend to be not so good with IR light, reflecting some of it which results in you having to use more IR than necessary.

I had a Zeiss on my 243, which I liked very much, however with no side PA it was useless with a digi add-on, that goes for any gen 2+, gen 3 add-on also; as the picture was never very sharp. I took this off and replaced with an MTC Genesis. Out of all the ones I read up on this scope seemed to be the best compromise between a tidy, albeit half mildot, reticule with good performance during the day and at night with an add on.

Other scopes people recommend are the Leupold, Hawke and some of the Bushnells. Sorry to say, if you're thinking of going the add on route, that lovely Zeiss of yours may have to go back into the box for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Miller View Post
    Hi Andy, I am a bit of a whizz when it comes to add-ons, having spent the last 18 months developing my own digi add-on. You need PA adjustment for all the reasons above and, as many have highlighted, the upper end scopes tend to have better lens coatings to gather as much light as possible, perfect for low light stalking, but the flipside is that they tend to be not so good with IR light, reflecting some of it which results in you having to use more IR than necessary.

I had a Zeiss on my 243, which I liked very much, however with no side PA it was useless with a digi add-on, that goes for any gen 2+, gen 3 add-on also; as the picture was never very sharp. I took this off and replaced with an MTC Genesis. Out of all the ones I read up on this scope seemed to be the best compromise between a tidy, albeit half mildot, reticule with good performance during the day and at night with an add on.

Other scopes people recommend are the Leupold, Hawke and some of the Bushnells. Sorry to say, if you're thinking of going the add on route, that lovely Zeiss of yours may have to go back into the box for a while.
    so what addons you recommend then.

Depends on your budget and what your doing, whether you prefer digi or tubed. Good value for money if you can handle the heads up shooting position is the NiteSite, but range is rather limited. Clive Ward's should have been good but I believe he is quite a tricky man to deal with, with a lot of complaints from prospective customers, the few that have them though seem to rate them. The Starlight Arrow looks good for the money, but for that price I'm not sure how good the resolution of the screen would be, what the performance would be like and I haven't managed to have a look through one yet to tell. The Pitch Black just looks wrong in every way to me.

My own unit is only, for the moment, going to be available to a few close friends and folk I can trust not to let the cat out of the bag, but it does have a high resolution and a very good range even with a small, 30mm illuminator, with which you can see (that is identify) quarry like rabbits and foxes out to 350 yards plus. Throw a big torch like the X searcher on and you can double that distance, even at x10 mag. But I don't want to boast about something that isn't commercially available yet.

If money was no object and you could afford tubed, the Envis or PVS14 are pretty damn good. I've looked through the latter, not through a scope though, and have to say tubed stuff is in a different league, both in performance and price.

Nice thing about tubed is it doesn't really need a lot of IR, if any. So in terms of user friendliness it's unsurpassed, simply hold to the eye and turn on for a spotter. A tubed dedicated likewise, a tubed add-on will need some IR but not huge amounts. It's the cost of it that's the crippler.