Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any ideas ???

Any ideas ???

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	520.8 KB 
ID:	39348

Was out yesterday and saw this strange sight. It appears to be frogspawn on top of a fence post?
    its about 4'6" high, there's a ring of barbed wire about 6" from the top so I don't know how or why a frog would have got up there.
    I did see a couple of frogs and there is a pond as can be seen in the background
    wingy
    unless you can prove it beyond all reasonable doubt, it wasn't me. If you can prove it then you must be mistaken

Kids finding it and moving it?
    Soon to be the latest member of the 20cal club.

It all works out in the end and if it hasn't worked out well it isn't the end!

Buzzard eating it?

Would probably rule out kids, this is quite a remote area where you never see anybody about and there were no footprints in the soft mud anywhere near.

Quote Originally Posted by seanct View Post
    Kids finding it and moving it?
    +1 for this idea, it has been in the water at some point as has swollen up and I couldn't see a bird being able to carry it there

At this time of the year I see frog spawn in this type of situation frequently. It is often, but not always, still in the membranous bag it sits in inside the animal. I think birds, often Herons, take the frog as it is crawling overland to water, eat it and spill the spawn.

David

Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    At this time of the year I see frog spawn in this type of situation frequently. It is often, but not always, still in the membranous bag it sits in inside the animal. I think birds, often Herons, take the frog as it is crawling overland to water, eat it and spill the spawn.

David
    Now that would be a sensible answer!! That answer never crossed my mind!!!

Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post

David
    This makes sense, there was another post with about 20 eggs not in membrane, however I've never seen a herron but plenty of buzzards.
    Wingy

I have found it a few time around the lakes like that, my thought was Owl's ?
    Because although herons are a common sight, I have never seen one perching on anything, but owls do sit on the fence posts.

Neil.

Owls eat many frogs, our Barn Owl sees off everyone that ventures through her aviary.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!