Thread: Snow census!

Snow census!

There's nothing like a bit of snow to help you determine what is active on your patch! It has to be one of the best opportunities of the year to determine what animals are about and how many there are.
    It's also a real challenge to pick up a set of tracks and follow them! 8)
    I followed a pair of fresh looking Roe tracks this morning and eventually sneaked up close enough to a Buck and a Doe which I took. Try it! It's a real buzz when you manage it! 8)
    MS

Brilliant time to be out and about I love it even without the rifle as you say you can look at the tracks of many diffrent animals in fresh snow, its like reading a book of the previous day/nights activities!!!

Well Il be a son of a gun, April already and I thought it was January, I seem to have missed a few months

Max

Max, I think MS meant "Of which I took the Doe"Steve.

Yep, maybe a comma was required after buck! You'll be pleased to hear that the buck lives on Max!
    However, I could have shot it 'legally' as it was with its Mum!
    Perfectly legal to shoot a buck kid if you just have, or are about to orphan it by shooting the mother.
    The question is, when does it stop being dependant on its mother!? I don't like shooting Roe at all before Christmas really as I think they are definitely dependant. He was also a fine healthy looking large buck kid who I assessed to be independant enough to be on his own.
    MS

Only just got back on line after BT internet screw up all day Sunday

Your just all heart MS, I knew that second glass of Glen Moray was'nt a good idea

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker
    However, I could have shot it 'legally' as it was with its Mum!
    Perfectly legal to shoot a buck kid if you just have, or are about to orphan it by shooting the mother.
    The question is, when does it stop being dependant on its mother!?
    Guidance states they're dependant up to a year old I think, but I doubt this is the case in reality??

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker
    The question is, when does it stop being dependant on its mother!?
    Some (including Richard Prior) say that you can reasonably orphan roe kids from the beginning of the doe season, at least in the milder (!) south, as thay are independent that early.

I don't like to orphan until at least Christmas, preferably the New Year (which is all the more feasible now that the doe season has been extended into March and there isn't the pressure on to complete the cull before the end of February). I also notice some very small kids around in the spring, and suspect that these have had to get through the winter months without their mother. They may be independent from November, but that does'nt mean that they are streetwise and have the full skills to do well on their own yet.

Independance

I think you have a couple of good points there Mole. The Buck I mention above was almost as big as the mother and she weighed 44lb head and legs on which is huge for this area. He was obviously well placed to go off on his own. If he had been born much later and had a poor mother, the chances are he would be much smaller and therefore probably more dependant. Dependancy is not just reliance on mothers milk either!
    Kids rely on their mothers to show them how to survive ie. where to find the best food, shelter etc and hopefully how to cross roads! Putting a time frame on it is never going to work fully as all animals are different. The Christmas/New Year thing works as a good guideline, but at the end of the day, it should be down to the judgement of stalker.