milky moles

arron

this is a question for all the moletrappers out there , having caught thousands of moles why have i never seen a mole lactating , i have had over 80 the past few days and have looked closely at everyone , expecting to see an odd one at least , there must be some one with some wisdom who can cast light on this ! thanks in advance ,arron.

this is a question for all the moletrappers out there , having caught thousands of moles why have i never seen a mole lactating , i have had over 80 the past few days and have looked closely at everyone , expecting to see an odd one at least , there must be some one with some wisdom who can cast light on this ! thanks in advance ,arron.
They probably use bottled, Your welcome atb doug,

over 80 in the last few days. you have the job i want. currently doing a 15 acre field. last year we had 31 from 30 traps in a week but this year so far we have had 12 in 7 days so its improving. will look in the morning to see if we have a side line of mole milk to be had

Sometimes they need quite a bit of stimulating before they release anything,:tiphat::old::fox:

Lads lads lads , a simple observation has turned into this ,milking male moles into buckets ! ( but its all good humor) , it was just that if you shoot enough rabbits , rats , squirels , etc you inevitably get milkys , but i have never had a mole like that , there must be a reason , thats all , just a simple question !

sorry arron, joking aside maybe they just dont get as active when rearing as males, not sure they are wierd little creatures at best of times, atb doug,

I take it moles being mamals will produce milk. Never seen 1 either Even when we used to skin them never ever had 1.
U'll probably find its because they only milk for a short time and don't leave there nest while lactating. Moles sometimes build up a stock pile of worms and keep them in there nest/breeding hill.

Do folk down south find the breeding dates change much with warmer/colder springs?
We pretty much always catch the first young around 2 week of June infact usually within days of the 2nd sat, been like that for years and years no matter wot the weather

That is a good point countryboy ! I was aware of the stashing of worms and hadn't conected the two together , thanks .

I don,t know what there milk taste like, but there meat must taste bad, yrs ago I thought I would feed them to my ferrets, they did not even try them.

Back