Cleaning kit

Mickeydredd

Hi

Can someone please advise what I need as a basic cleaning kit for my Steyr 25.06, and also a link as to where they gear can be purchased.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Depends how swiftly you need it. If you are heading to Kelso you'll find any number of traders with top quality gear on sale - and there's nothing to beat being able to compare items to see what you prefer and what deals are to be done.

Blatant advertising - we'll have cleaning gear there. I'm sure Brock & Norris, Ivythorn and a number of others will too.

At the top end, there is very little to really differentiate well made and designed gear - it really comes down to personal preference. Anyone wishing to argue the merits of Tipton, ProShot, Dewey et al rods frankly needs a girl friend ;) Spear tip jags get my vote - maker issues as just mentioned. Brushes are contentious, if I do use one its a quality nylon type - usually Dewey.

A good bore guide that fits well, seals the chamber from solvent leeks and doesnt fall out - look for those design features and you will naturally come across the good models.

Something to keep jags and brushes in - MTM Jag box

Something to keep your rod clean - 38mm or bigger plastic pipe and push fit end caps from B & Q

Can of brake cleaner - to clean off jags & brushes and to shift carbon fouling

Solvent - take your pick. I like Butches Bore shine, but not prepared to enter a duel to the death with someone who has a different preference :D

Bore Foam - I like it and find it works well - others have different views. Forrest Bore Foam has worked well for me for years. There may be better out there, but never felt the need to change.

Good grease and lubricant/ Metal protector.

Cotton Buds.

Good Patches.

Very sage advice above and another nod for Butches Bore Shine but you needn't duel to the death over it, just try and use it indoors and your other half will very quickly launch an attack over the smell of the stuff. If the fumes don't get you, an angry wife with a mop will do just as much damage.

I picked up an MTM bore guide for £9.99 from my local RFD and despite many people running the plastic versions down, it hasn't broken, snapped or chipped on me yet and I'm pretty ham fisted so can't grumble there.

I picked up one of these for £20 in my local B&Q recently and it keeps all my gun stuff tucked away nicely (including my range bag rests that I use to prop up the rifle when cleaning). The first review clinched it for me when I could see that it wasn't just the home builders buying this kit.

Tetra do some gun grease in a little tube that I've been using on shotguns, air rifles and centre fires without issue for a while and would recommend keeping some of that to hand to help lubrication with any metal parts that are moving together.

You don't need to go mad with the cleaning stuff, I've found that my collection has built over the months.

Thanks for the quick responses.

I had intended attending Kelso but am running my gsp in tests both days that weekend in the Borders, so unless I get bumped out early then I cant attend Kelso.

I'm a newbie to stalking so could have done with attending to get in-person guidance but will take onboard what gets posted here.

Cheers
Mike

decent rod with swivel handle
jag (spear tipped or otherwise)
patches to push crap out (precut to calibre are easier but rolls of 2x2 are just as good)
brushes if you want to (match to solvent, no point getting brass ones if you use them with copper solvent)
solvents to remove stuff (carbon, copper are the main ones) too many to choose from)
degreaser, brake cleaner, meths, etc

any RFD should have a supply of most of these otherwise try the usual eBay or Midway or Bushwear route if you must

cotton buds, (boots)
dental swabs (eBay)

some oil to cover the areas you just degreased and cleaned and keep the rust at bay

Depends how swiftly you need it. If you are heading to Kelso you'll find any number of traders with top quality gear on sale - and there's nothing to beat being able to compare items to see what you prefer and what deals are to be done.

Blatant advertising - we'll have cleaning gear there. I'm sure Brock & Norris, Ivythorn and a number of others will too.

At the top end, there is very little to really differentiate well made and designed gear - it really comes down to personal preference. Anyone wishing to argue the merits of Tipton, ProShot, Dewey et al rods frankly needs a girl friend ;) Spear tip jags get my vote - maker issues as just mentioned. Brushes are contentious, if I do use one its a quality nylon type - usually Dewey.

A good bore guide that fits well, seals the chamber from solvent leeks and doesnt fall out - look for those design features and you will naturally come across the good models.

Something to keep jags and brushes in - MTM Jag box

Something to keep your rod clean - 38mm or bigger plastic pipe and push fit end caps from B & Q

Can of brake cleaner - to clean off jags & brushes and to shift carbon fouling

Solvent - take your pick. I like Butches Bore shine, but not prepared to enter a duel to the death with someone who has a different preference :D

Bore Foam - I like it and find it works well - others have different views. Forrest Bore Foam has worked well for me for years. There may be better out there, but never felt the need to change.

Good grease and lubricant/ Metal protector.

Cotton Buds.

Good Patches.

Do you sell portable cleaning rods? IE that can be broken down to 8" ish lengths. I have 1 piece rods for cleaning at home, but would like a pack away kit that I can take with me up to Scotland or even leave in my car in case of emergency.

Cheers

Ross

270 buck - sorry we don't. I can ask around, but suspect there'll be other traders on here that can help out.

I cop out by using an Aim bag with a rod pocket. I have tried a few jointed rods in the past - and can see the occasional use utility - but always ended up unhappy with the joint movement. I switched to an OTIS coated flexi 'rod' kit. Not sure if anyone on here does them. Southern Gun Co was the last advert I saw - though Bushwear may do. My fall back for goodies is always Reloading Solutions.

Hope that helps.

270 buck - sorry we don't. I can ask around, but suspect there'll be other traders on here that can help out.

I cop out by using an Aim bag with a rod pocket. I have tried a few jointed rods in the past - and can see the occasional use utility - but always ended up unhappy with the joint movement. I switched to an OTIS coated flexi 'rod' kit. Not sure if anyone on here does them. Southern Gun Co was the last advert I saw - though Bushwear may do. My fall back for goodies is always Reloading Solutions.

Hope that helps.
+1 on the otis small and compact ,ebay? i have a small kit jointed its horrible allways checking every things scewed up tight waste of money

Last edited:
Something small for the field - a good starter for calibers below .30 is the M-16 kit which fits into the buttstock.

For .30 caliber and above, the HK G3 pocket cleaning kit is very good. The Israelis and British Army made similar ones for the L1A1, but the HK is rounded to fit the contour of your body, and all the corners are rounded.

Hope that helps.

It would be great if someone comes up with a suggestion.

It seems like Thomas Hagland THLR.NO - YouTube who I believe is AKA Norway on the SD has got some sectional rods he uses. Maybe I will ask him where they came from but I suspect they will be from Norway.

Let me know if anyone has a solution.

Cheers

USGI sectional steel rods fit in a sleeve, along with jag, eyelet, patches and TSP, and into the buttstock of an M-16 rifle. All the common commercial accessories fit it, too. The are only about $6.00 for the whole kit.

The British Army roll up kit with sectional rod, for the L1A1, has it all, too. I bought about five of them some years back for $4.00 each.

Swiss STG-57 roll up kit is very nice

USGI sectional steel rods fit in a sleeve, along with jag, eyelet, patches and TSP, and into the buttstock of an M-16 rifle. All the common commercial accessories fit it, too. The are only about $6.00 for the whole kit.

The British Army roll up kit with sectional rod, for the L1A1, has it all, too. I bought about five of them some years back for $4.00 each.

Swiss STG-57 roll up kit is very nice

Thanks for the suggestion. I have just looked them up, they look just what I am after. But seems like they have not made their way across the pond to the UK!!

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the suggestion. I have just looked them up, they look just what I am after. But seems like they have not made their way across the pond to the UK!!

Any other suggestions?

Don't know if they are available local for you, but if interested in the HK G3's I just found a lot of 10 that works out to 4 euro each to me. If you want, I'll order and take half and send you the other half for 20 euro plus postage.

270Buck,

Can you not get these surplus British FAL kits, Swiss PE57 kits, or Hoppe's new kits over there?
Military Surplus GUN RIFLE CLEANING KIT Compact Field Gear 3.5 | eBay

The Swiss has uncommon metric threads, so make sure you get a complete kit. It is very good, and the roll up case is nice and neat.
I just cut off some Hoppe's aluminum end pieces and hand threaded them to fit the Swiss rod.

The USGI kit should be over there, too, or from Canada, as they use the M-16A2.
Being a small rod, it works for your little rifles.

Don't know if they are available local for you, but if interested in the HK G3's I just found a lot of 10 that works out to 4 euro each to me. If you want, I'll order and take half and send you the other half for 20 euro plus postage.

Hi Daven,

That sounds like a good idea. From a quick look on the internet and e bay it seems like they are a pull through type system. If that is the case it may not be suitable as I want a rod.

This is exactly the kind of kit I am after.

Real Avid Gun Boss Compact Rod Cleaning Kit w/ Star Chamber Cleaning Pads | eBay

Back