Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I try to add 308 to my application?

Should I try to add 308 to my application?

Hi folks,
    I've been kindly given the opportunity for Roe stalking + vermin control in Scotland so sent in my FAC app before Christmas requesting 243 and 22lr. (still waiting for my home visit) Since then I have come accross opportunities for Red stalking. this isn't feasibly gonna happen until november now, but should I try and an add 308 or 270 when the officer visits or do you think I'll be pushing my luck baring in mind it will be my first grant.

Jon

Worth asking if you have a definite opportunity to go for reds! They might try and put you off but no harm in asking

I got .308 on my first application for deer

It seems to change from area to area, helpfully, perhaps even between different FEO's. They'll give you rifles for vermin or fox control so long as you meet the usual criteria no problem, but may ask for some experience of using centre fire rifles or deer stalking or similar before giving you .308 or other deer calibres. But if you've got the opportunity, I'd give it a go, see what he/she says when they do visit. Worst scenario would be if they won't go for it, at least you'll find out what you need to do before they will.

If they'll sign you off for .243 then I can't see why .308 would be an issue alongside the specific need for it.

I had two centre fires approved on my first ticket with minimal experience so I'd always be an advocate of going for it.

If you don't ask you definitely won't get it.

If you can demonstrate the 'good reason' and provide a cogent case for it then ask for the .308 to be included. Even if the FEO tries to talk you out of it, you can ask for the application to proceed with the .308 on it and request that the FLO or FLD manager deal with it. Remember that the FEO makes enquiries not decisions.

If push comes to shove then maybe ditch the .243 and substitute with the .308 which is perfectly adequate for all UK deer species - this assumes your FLD will toe the line and issue the FAC with AOLQ on it should you also wish to take fox and other 'lesser' quarry.

If push comes to shove then maybe ditch the .243 and substitute with the .308 which is perfectly adequate for all UK deer species - this assumes your FLD will toe the line and issue the FAC with AOLQ on it should you also wish to take fox and other 'lesser' quarry.[/QUOTE]

I had thought about this option if I'm met with major resistance, but I have got a nice 243 lined up. Guess im gonna have to see what FEO's attitue is when he arrives. The fact no one's said "no chance" has given me a bit more confidence.

Jon

I was allowed a 243 for fox until I did my dsc1 then they allowed AOLQ, even though I had red deer permissions. The alternative he gave me was to get a mentor. Might be your solution. I was very quickly allowed a 270 once completing my DSC1.

Will

Hi Will,
    I did the dsc1 as soon as I applied to try to avoid the mentor route. I have couple of potential people if its essential but they are 80+ miles away so becomes a logistcal nightmare.
    Jon

i got .308 and .243 for deer first time but had DSC1 and have booked stalks for fallow n reds prior to applying .with your scottish permission cant see it being a major hurdle.also ex army so lotsa centre fire experience helped im guessing,good luck u dont ask u dont get