Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Deer Stalking Essay

Deer Stalking Essay

I have been asked by my English teacher to write an discursive essay on deer stalking for my higher English portfolio. For those who don't know, a discursive essay contains both points for and against a subject. Anyway, I was wondering, other than the obvious argument of "it's cruel to kill animals", what would be some good points to put forward, both for an against?

Cheers

Euan

Ecolligy ,enviroment ,welfare ,as no natural predators etc, doug,
    DONT START

For, sustainable natural resource, good healthy eating especially for heart disease, shooting a deer is doing something for conservation as in areas there are a few too many.

Against, well now you have me stumped, I would go back to the teacher and say she is wrong in asking you to write a discursive essay as there are not any negatives to deer stalking other than it is highly addictive and the more you do the more you want to do. Plus venison is really tasty, so that is a negative as the more you eat the more you want.........

Quote Originally Posted by stalker.308 View Post
    For, sustainable natural resource, good healthy eating especially for heart disease, shooting a deer is doing something for conservation as in areas there are a few too many.

Against, well now you have me stumped, I would go back to the teacher and say she is wrong in asking you to write a discursive essay as there are not any negatives to deer stalking other than it is highly addictive and the more you do the more you want to do. Plus venison is really tasty, so that is a negative as the more you eat the more you want.........
    +1 said it all put the pen down
    Keep on going to the end you never no what's round the corner

Reasons against......
    being declined carnal delights due to the overwhelming aroma of rutting stag emanating from ones pores

think that's the only one I can think of though...
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

due to possible financial benfits people may import exotics to small islands (cough) which can cause major issues to the nautrual ecosystem and these aliens can cause harm to not only plants but may push out domestic species.

i do not envy you with this.

i would suggest to add some grey area issues to keep a bit of balance as when these things are to strong at each end they can be quite tough on the reader, a happy teacher gives better marks.

Andy7mm

antlers make good trophys ,stick handles ,and priests.venison tastes good .bad points the feet and non trophy heads go in the bin .the fur makes loverly gloves n slippers for the memsahib.job done

I can't resist this one, but I won't have time until tomorrow. Stand by!

The "for" point are numerous and fairly obvious. Some negative points may be the increasing pressure for trophy beast which may lead to mis-management. Also, due to its popularity, more and more novices are taking up stalking (also a huge plus!!!) but this may lead to an increase in poorly shot animals if not supervised properly

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    I can't resist this one, but I won't have time until tomorrow. Stand by!
    DONT START