Thread: Irish bog oak

Irish bog oak

Has any of you knife makers ever used Irish bog oak for a handle, got a few pieces and quite fancy the dark wood but wondered how easy or hard to work with.
    cheers.

I tried irish bog once but the chain kept snapping, sorry!
    DONT START

Quote Originally Posted by bijssg View Post
    Has any of you knife makers ever used Irish bog oak for a handle, got a few pieces and quite fancy the dark wood but wondered how easy or hard to work with.
    cheers.

Loverly stuff mate. Easier to work than you'd think, but that doesn't mean it ain't tough!

I used it as liners on a knife handle last year. Look for the two dark strips either side of the steel:

It's more of a 'use it for what it is' timber. Doesn't have anything particularly nice about it, other than the fact it's at least 3000 years old.
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

Just finished this in Bog Oak. The final finish is Danish oil. Attachment 39403Attachment 39404I think that next time I will use it the way that Digger has, that is as a contrast to other wood in the handle. Its all down to personal taste.
    Tusker

Thanks very much digger and tusker for the info and photos I think the dark wood looks great.