Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any advice ?

any advice ?

whilst out beating yesterday i lost my 5 year old springer, the long and short of it is that he must of had either a fit or heart attack as i found him drowned in only 8" of water. as you can imagine i cut the day short after buring the dog and after the keeper came round to see me as the lads on the shoot had had a whip round and even tho it is a tiny shoot made up of normal people they had still raised over 40 and this is where i need advice. the money was rasied for me to put towards another dog but my wife is pregnat with out 1st child and i will not have time to bring on another young gundog and raise the baby. i would like to use the money within the shoot and was thinking about buying pidgeon decoys and leaving them at the farm for everyone to use as a lot of them dont have this sort of kit and i was just wondering if anyone else had any other ideas like this.
    thanks Daniel.

Sorry to hear of your loss

On the money my thoughts are that your fellow shoot members raised the money to help with a dog so even though your not in a position to get a dog right now may I suggest you start a saving account and put this money in and then add to it say on a monthly basis then you will have the funds there ready and waiting for when you do have time to train your new dog.

I would also write thank you note to the shoot captain saying what I have done and thanking them again for their support.

Daniel - gutted for you mate to find him lying in the water..

I would sleep on it for a good few more days as you and your family may have a change of opinion with regards to a new dog..

Terry

the worst day mate gutted for you as has been said sleep on it and see how you feel.

There could of been a multitude of possibilities which could of resulted in the untimely death of the dog.
    A deeply emotional event for any person to deal with and take it from me i know.
    Replace the dog in the spring when the lighter nights are with us.
    If you cant cope with the new child as well as the pup you could always have the child fostered,lol.

Sorry to hear of your loss , it is always very upsetting but hopefully it was quick and when it is my time i want the last thing i see to be the great outdoors and my last breath to be of fresh air.

Get another dog as soon as, it might be hard to start with but once you actually have a baby then their just does not seem to be a right time to get a dog and on the plus side when it comes to nappy change time the dog might need to have a walk

Regards Mark

Daniel, a sad day for you. The loss of any working companion is hard to adjust to for a while. As others have said, give it some thought for a day or two, you may find you need to replace your dog sooner than you think, I did when my first spaniel was killed when only 13months old.
    Regards, Pete.

Sorry Daniel, words don't really cut it in situations like this, dreadfull feeling losing your best friend just heartbeaking.
    We lost our spaniel Sam, sometime ago to illness, then also prematurely lost one of his pups last year, put the money asside and when you feel like it get another pup.
    The moments of joy far outway the sadness, after losing Sam the house was empty then we got that scraggy terrier of Frans, although he is a pain in the arse he is also a character in his own right & brought life back into an empty house.

Re: any advice ?

Quote Originally Posted by sir-lamp-alot
    whilst out beating yesterday i lost my 5 year old springer, the long and short of it is that he must of had either a fit or heart attack as i found him drowned in only 8" of water. as you can imagine i cut the day short after buring the dog and after the keeper came round to see me as the lads on the shoot had had a whip round and even tho it is a tiny shoot made up of normal people they had still raised over 40 and this is where i need advice. the money was rasied for me to put towards another dog but my wife is pregnat with out 1st child and i will not have time to bring on another young gundog and raise the baby. i would like to use the money within the shoot and was thinking about buying pidgeon decoys and leaving them at the farm for everyone to use as a lot of them dont have this sort of kit and i was just wondering if anyone else had any other ideas like this.
    thanks Daniel.
    A sad day to say the least but, hopefully you will have another bundle of joy to take it's place shortly and hopefully mother and baby will be fine. Once the baby begins to grow and you find out whether sleepness nights and tiredness are on the horizon you can hopefully bring on another dog. I would as suggested put the money to one side and buy another dog when the time is right for you and your situation.

Good luck to you and Mrs.

thank you all for yor kind and helpfull words. i think one day i will get another dog just when the timing is a little better. i spoke with the keeper again today and i was put under orders to buy myself a dam good drink with the money and even tho it doesnt seem right i think it will now be rude not to. once again thank you all from my self and the wife for all your kind words
    Daniel