New member from the US

smicha6551

Hello all, Steven here from Virginia, USA. I discovered this site while researching stalks in Scotland, looking for references. After going once I'm eager to go back again, and I figured I should actually join the forum though I've been reading it for quite a while.

The reference I got from here worked out - had plenty of great stalks reminding me of how out of shape I'm in...

1239462_10201447393619577_347786586_n.jpg

Thank you for the welcome - actually I did spend two days in the highlands. Found references for Woodmill Shootings here and went with them - over 5 days in hunting was able to take one Red, Fallow, Sika and two roe...a week in Scotland and not one moment to see anything other than the airport, hunting grounds, and the B&B I stayed in.

Hi Steven, and welcome. How did you find the stalking over here compared with hunting back home?

There's some hunting on private land here but it's rather expensive (unless you own land, and I don't), and seasons are limited. As for public land, the same limited seasons apply, but forget about doing spot and stalk, and in many areas the woods are too crowded, with the attendant dangers and game being driven off, etc. From what I can tell your guides seem to be more professional (certainly the ones I worked with impress me) than the ones I've worked with in the US and Canada though I'm no expert on either side of the pond. Five days of learning so much about stalking and the enviroment in Scotland, vs. five days of an intox driver dumping me off at ground blinds telling me "call me if you shoot a bear" in Canada. Not to dissuade anyone coming over here to hunt if there's something specific you're interested in, but for Deer it's an easy choice for me (except the costs of flying).

Back