Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spot on flea treatment

Spot on flea treatment

Are these effective against Ticks and Clegs? Do Clegs and Rabbit arthropods(fleas) re host on dogs? Any info and/or links appreciated.

Many thanks

PetMD Mobile - PetMD SlideShows

American site, but it may help.

Sorry, I meant to post that on your 'rabbit flea' topic.

Best thing I've found for tics is a spot on treatment called Advantix
    You can only get it from the vets but I've never found a tic on my dogs in the past 4 years since I started using it. I use it for 6 months April - September when the tics are more active then switch to front line which is more active towards fleas October - March.
    Wingy

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    I use this and is great, + is the cheapest by far.
    CATS DOGS FLEA TREATMENT KIT 10 MONTHS SUPPLY GUARANTEED | eBay
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

+1 Advantix
    Last edited by tedsalad; 20-03-2014 at 08:34.

Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    I use this and is great, + is the cheapest by far.
    CATS DOGS FLEA TREATMENT KIT 10 MONTHS SUPPLY GUARANTEED | eBay
    Any idea what is in it? No mention of the active ingredient that I could see on the ad.

Alan

Advantix

Yep
    on the box it's got
    100mg imidacloprid
    500mg permethrin

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Bayer Advantage contains Imidacloprid
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

I used advocate and it tackles everything. Been using frontline for years and not missed a month, so it was sheer horror when we had a flea infestation! Advocate sorted it in a day but obviously then had the problems with hatching etc, took a while to sort out but they never got back on the dogs again. Apparently frontline has seen its days and fleas have built up an immunity.

Quote Originally Posted by rodkayak View Post
    Are these effective against Ticks and Clegs? Do Clegs and Rabbit arthropods(fleas) re host on dogs? Any info and/or links appreciated.

Many thanks

I used Frontline combo/plus Spot On for ten years until around 18months ago when it seemed to just stop being effective, although my vet assured me it was still okay and that the dogs were getting new fleas from the environment. Less than 24 hours after the first application of Advocate they were clear and remained so. So the fleas appeared to have developed some resistance to the Frontline.

Neither product seems effective against ticks, they latch on at any time of the treatment cycle; the next day or at the end of a month. I do a daily search and take them off with a an O'Tom hook, maybe some are sleepier than others...

I have not seen any horse flies on my dogs, Holly was attacked by a swarm of wasps one day…I managed to brush them off with my handkerchief, I never new how many had stung her...

Alan

PS Great posters write alike! Just seen Stalker308 similar experiences...
    Last edited by Alantoo; 20-03-2014 at 09:58.