Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 220 swift Blaser barrel

220 swift Blaser barrel

I want a 220 swift barrel for my R93 but as I'm told Blaser don't do them what's chances of getting a 222 barrel rechambered & any recommendations on who to do it?
    I want 220swift not other reasons or options for another calibre thanks!
    LET HE WHO IS WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE & PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE!

The difficulty might be get the bolt head altered to suit the semi rimmed case head.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

They don't list 220Swift under the R93 or R8 configurators Blaser Hunting Rifles:Configurator

When looking at .20 cals a year ago I asked if they would make me an R93 barrel in .204R as they only list it under the R8..... they could but I think it was around the 1150 mark. Considering that I've spent more than that on what is a very, very nice Sako A1 .20Prac I half think it might have been the way to go.

I didn't ask the question as to whether they'd be prepared to do it if I supplied them with a reamer....... might be worth the question if you happen to have a reamer in the drawer but then CD's comment also applies.

Cheers

Fizz

The folks at Blaserbuds.com and Blaserpro.com might be able to give you some solid answers as there's a decent number of folks that use them in the US. My concerns would be the bolt head as CD mentioned, getting the magazine to feed properly (unless you're OK with single loading it), and last would be getting the barrel rechambered. I've heard from more than one gunsmith that the steel is really hard to work with - for example it took far longer to thread an R93 barrel, so much so that they basically quoted double the normal charge to thread mine.

If it's possible without major pain, someone at the sites I mentioned should be able to suggest how to make it happen.

Thanks guys bolt head has now become the issue as predicted in a bit of a dilemma now lol
    LET HE WHO IS WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE & PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE!

Don't know the price of a bolt head but a.243/308 bolt head would do I am sure. Seems a pity not to have the only Blaser in .220 swift!!! J

Bixn-Andy - Läufe

Andy altz does custom blaser barrels, look at the picture

Dealing directly with andy is difficult

this would be where i would start, mark ingate in suffulk bought some r93 barrels in 6.5x47, his contact details are on guntrader.

good luck, if you get one i want a go!
    Last edited by Offroad Gary; 26-03-2014 at 08:37.

I haven't given up yet, just bought another R93 in 25-06 as it wasn't getting used where it was lol but will keep looking for a solution I've no doubt that getting The barrel rechambered isnt going to be hard but getting it to feed & extract may be more difficult but I'm sure it can be done

I't might be easier to get it rebarrelled in 22 midlestead or some other wildcat that uses the 308 case head , unless your set on using factory ammo?
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

I realise I am probably missing some really important esoteric point, but I would just buy a 22/250 barrel and be done with.

Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......