Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ebay scam?

Ebay scam?

I sell very, very little on ebay and our stuff is obviously not very desirable to your average rogue..

Today I get a buyer who joined ebay today and so has zero feedback, use the 'buy it now' to purchase an item for £130.00. He paid straight away via Paypal. Now his username is just a bunch of numbers, letters and full stops which strikes me as odd.

His address is showing as 'confirmed' by ebay.

I do some digging on the address and find that it is a stately home in the south with a current value of £20 million. The name of the ebay buyer is, according to Google, the actual owner of the property.

Also, this guy owns a very large company operating out of Dubai and has a personal net worth of £300 million.

Guys, please advise me: how does this scam work?

As it is a confirmed address, am I protected if I send the item?

Really got me this one!

Why do you think its a scam ? even landed gentry use fleabay.

Wait until the money is in your account before sending the item if you feel uneasy about it.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Check the money is actually in your PayPal account by logging into PayPal via the PayPal website. Did you say that you accepted returns on the auction? There is always a chance its legitimate I guess however I would be sceptical like you. It could be someone using false details however if the item is not getting sent to them I.e it will be going to the big house them I'm struggling to see the benefit for a scammer. If he asked you to now ship it to an unconfirmed address in Nigeria that would explain it....
    Hmmmmm could be a genuine transaction

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Where's the estate? Just the county.
    Maybe a member on here will hand deliver it for you?
    Sold lots on ebay and normally not a problem but have had a couple of issues.
    Sometimes peoples accounts get hacked but as you have his contact details then ask him for a contact number as the courier will require one so as delivery can be made. Then phone the person to check.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Just spoke to my wife over this one as she has an ebay business,

She advises that you are protected by Ebay/Paypal , unfortunately Ebay will not accept the excuse that you did not trust the purchaser as a reason for not sending the Item, You can request to cancel the item but the seller may not accept and unfortunately due to ebay rules they can leave neg feedback but you can't. Send the item by recorded delivery so you can prove that it has been recieved, in the even t that anything does happen you have proof of postage.
    There was an attempt to sting us recently while selling a spares or repair technological device, thankfully we sent it by international signed for.

Have you confirmed the address on ebay as well as paypal ?

hope this helps

Cheers Guys.

Everything seems to check correct! Confirmed address by both ebay and paypal saying okay to ship.

I don't consider myself in any way a snob, but I was just surprised that someone worth £300 mil would bother to register for the first time on ebay today just to buy a set of shooting sticks!

Hopefully I'll be covered and get them on the courier (signed for) first thing tomorrow.

If youve got all the info why not telephone them and ask if they have ordered the item? simples.

Quote Originally Posted by Johno100 View Post
    If youve got all the info why not telephone them and ask if they have ordered the item? simples.
    Because I don't have their telephone number. I've just messaged them via ebay asking for a landline...

Quote Originally Posted by Hunting Solutions View Post
    Cheers Guys.

Everything seems to check correct! Confirmed address by both ebay and paypal saying okay to ship.

I don't consider myself in any way a snob, but I was just surprised that someone worth £300 mil would bother to register for the first time on ebay today just to buy a set of shooting sticks!

Hopefully I'll be covered and get them on the courier (signed for) first thing tomorrow.
    Lol! You surely need £300 mil to consider spending that much on a set of sticks

Sorry- I'll get my coat