Thread: Safe background? Illegal use of a firearm?

Safe background? Illegal use of a firearm?

This is my first post here, and I have come to this forum for some help and advice about aperson who has guns but who has been intimidating and bullying hisfemale neighbours for some time. I apologise this may be a longstory. I will try to be brief but this is story covering a long timeand we are in the middle of some Kafkaesque story of police blundersand incompetence.

I am a crofter in the western highlands of scotland.

I am not anti guns, Iwas born and bred in the country and have done my fair share ofshooting.

In early December 2010 we were in the middle of the coldest spell in living memory. The ground wad frozen solid and about a foot deep in snow. This man drove through a group of families playing with their children in the snow on a township road and went round above them on the main road overlooking his crofting apportionment. There were deer there. He was some 400 yards from the families, maybe 200 feet above them. The ground is open moorland. They were all in direct sight of each other.The man began firing and killed a deer between him and the families not 150 metres from the kill and within about a 20* arc of his shot.

One father was so concerned he jumped into a ditch with his son and daughter. They are convinced, knowing how much this man hates them, that this was done to scare them off 'his' hill.

After a long and drawnout complaints procedure the Police have now admitted they did not investigate the reports of this shooting properly. No-one was interviewed and no police officer has visited the site to this day.The man still has his guns despite recently being charged with racially aggravated breach of the peace. The Police say he has many supporters within his community.

The Police say they have a witness who says the shot was safe. so thats OK apparently.

Can that shot have been safe so close to those families. Is frozen snow covered rocky ground at an angle of,say, 25* below the rifle a safe backstop with families within, say,20* and behind the quarry on a road and with houses behind them?

I should also say the man does not own the land he killed the deer on and he does not have permission to shoot there and he has no excuse under sec 26Deer(Scotland) Act since it is open moorland. Yet the police will not act. Should they?

dont think you will get alof of help from this site as you are trying to get another shooter in the s""t. there is enough problems at the moment without you asking for help and support to get someone done.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    No introduction and a very poor start.
    Please take your business elsewhere, your motives are at best questionable
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Tomm View Post
    dont think you will get alof of help from this site as you are trying to get another shooter in the s""t. there is enough problems at the moment without you asking for help and support to get someone done.
    +1 and by the way what happened to your introduction.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I think you win the award for most theatrical introduction....

Without being there in person at these events or having first person involvement I don't think anyone commenting on your story here will be able to say whether anything was right or wrong, safe or unsafe.

OK, sorry to upset anyone. I'll ask elsewhere.

If he does not own the land or the shooting rights i would think he was breaking the law, as for the shot its hard to say without seeing what happened !

Without actually witnessing it how can we say if a shot was safe or unsafe, if you feel something was illegal make an official complaint to the police they are duty bound to investigate.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    This is my first post here, and I have come to this forum for some help and advice about aperson who has guns but who has been intimidating and bullying hisfemale neighbours for some time. I apologise this may be a longstory. I will try to be brief but this is story covering a long timeand we are in the middle of some Kafkaesque story of police blundersand incompetence.

I am a crofter in the western highlands of scotland.

I am not anti guns, Iwas born and bred in the country and have done my fair share ofshooting.

In early December 2010 we were in the middle of the coldest spell in living memory. The ground wad frozen solid and about a foot deep in snow. This man drove through a group of families playing with their children in the snow on a township road and went round above them on the main road overlooking his crofting apportionment. There were deer there. He was some 400 yards from the families, maybe 200 feet above them. The ground is open moorland. They were all in direct sight of each other.The man began firing and killed a deer between him and the families not 150 metres from the kill and within about a 20* arc of his shot.

One father was so concerned he jumped into a ditch with his son and daughter. They are convinced, knowing how much this man hates them, that this was done to scare them off 'his' hill.

After a long and drawnout complaints procedure the Police have now admitted they did not investigate the reports of this shooting properly. No-one was interviewed and no police officer has visited the site to this day.The man still has his guns despite recently being charged with racially aggravated breach of the peace. The Police say he has many supporters within his community.

The Police say they have a witness who says the shot was safe. so thats OK apparently.

Can that shot have been safe so close to those families. Is frozen snow covered rocky ground at an angle of,say, 25* below the rifle a safe backstop with families within, say,20* and behind the quarry on a road and with houses behind them?

I should also say the man does not own the land he killed the deer on and he does not have permission to shoot there and he has no excuse under sec 26Deer(Scotland) Act since it is open moorland. Yet the police will not act. Should they?
    The problem you have here is ( I hope I am corrected if I am wrong ) although the guy may have taken the shot it has to be proven that it is was not a safe shot, I know many stalkers who have taken shots while there has been walkers on the hill, it is all to do where the shot lands and not where it has been taken from. If his witness is deemed as a competent firearms user then that does go in his favour.

In regards to the illegal shooting on the land, it is up to the land owner or SNH to report any illegal shooting activity. Also if this was not a "public area" but private land then the police have very little powers unless it is the landowner that makes the complaint for illegal discharge of a firearm.

I understand the frustration and this guy has obviously acted inappropriately in your eyes and may have in fact done so,however, although his actions were misguided and in appropriate it really does not mean it is illegal.

But people in general frown upon any firearm activity and perceive everything we do as illegal ( i had a comment on my facebook yesterday saying i looked suspicious sitting in the middle of nowhere in full camo).

There is a story close to where I live where a gentleman was shooting deer on his land across the river from a village. there was about twenty complaints from people in regards to the shots (which were all completely safe) as it happens many of the complaints came from people who just moved into the area and clearly not used to country pursuits.

Speak to the land and see what they say about it all then speak to the police again but genuinely the police have their hands tied unless he has illegally discharged his firearm.

Regards

David

Well no introduction from the OP to start with. Also if you have a problem then I suggest you report it to the police. It is nothing to do with this site, and frankly I find your posting such a thread on a site dedicated to deer stalking and hunting somewhat suspicious.

Hence the thread is locked and you are banned.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.