Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big dowell for shooting sticks?

Big dowell for shooting sticks?

I was out today and I saw some fairly wide diameter, long dowell. My question to the wise is this: is there any reason I couldn't use something like that to make a set of cheap shooting sticks?
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

Plastic green garden canes lashed together and pipe lagging are the way forward mate
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

Aye I've seen the recommendations for garden canes. I just saw the dowell today and, truth be told, thought it would look a bit nicer
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSimon View Post
    Aye I've seen the recommendations for garden canes. I just saw the dowell today and, truth be told, thought it would look a bit nicer
    If you fancy using the dowel mate go for it it should work just fine I just like the canes as they're pretty much indestructible
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

Only thing you might find is that they slap together and make more noise than the canes, I use to have a set but changed for the latter because of that reason, that said they do look nice, and some suitably placed rubber bushings or lashings of para cord to stop them coming together would stop that issue.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

I use a 1.8m x 30mm rake handle; sawn down middle plus add a 1.7m x 20mm dowel as a third leg. The split handle is lashed with shock-cord and the dowel attached to the shock-cord with a heavy duty "cup hook". The set up is strong enough to sit on if you want to keep your arse off wet ground plus can be used by two people to drag a deer off the hill. (rope around middle then sticks held waist height between the two individuals , cart horse style. Works well and does not snap like B&Q poles when abused.

I've used hazel, plastic garden canes and doweling. to be honest they
    are all much the same and will do fine.
    With the exception of being able to dye the dowel whichever colour
    you fancy Simon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0990.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	331.4 KB 
ID:	39455Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0991.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	315.1 KB 
ID:	39456

1.8mtr. 21mm thick. Stained with Tudor black oak.
    small piece of tube half way up stick stops slap !
    Buck.
    Last edited by Uncle Buck; 19-03-2014 at 22:34.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

Thanks folks, I reckon I'll give it a go. I was thinking shock cord lashing for the "hinge" as it can be slid up and down, replaced as often as needed and might hold them together a bit to stop slapping. It did occur to me that I might be able to stain/polish them for a nice look too.
    Blog

You may find that Micronesian Ballabur Nut tree wood will make the best sticks.

Of course, you have to stain it with the blood of 4 virgin stoats that has been boiled at Stonehenge for 2 hours by a Druid at the summer solstice.

Or you could just buy some quad sticks from Limulus.

Seriously, best thing I ever bought (apart from the Tikka 695 that sits upon them).
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

Quote Originally Posted by charadam View Post
    You may find that Micronesian Ballabur Nut tree wood will make the best sticks.

Of course, you have to stain it with the blood of 4 virgin stoats that has been boiled at Stonehenge for 2 hours by a Druid at the summer solstice.

Or you could just buy some quad sticks from Limulus.

Seriously, best thing I ever bought (apart from the Tikka 695 that sits upon them).
    Oh, thanks for the tip! So do you know anywhere in Worcestershire with good paid stoat shooting? Preferably with no shot fee if I have to get 4...
    Blog