Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extraction on warmer days and Carcass Hygiene.

Extraction on warmer days and Carcass Hygiene.

As the days start to get warmer the trip to the chiller/game dealer becomes more of an immediate priority rather than after a second stalk. This has got me thinking. Apart from a handful of trips to highland / very remote locations, 99% of my stalking is in lowland with the vehicle perhaps 1.5 miles away at the most.

Are you in very remote locations? What is your accepted limit on fresh carcass to chiller timescale? What is your extraction method and how long does it take? Does this differ from years ago?

Its not a trick question. We all know (or should know) what the text book answer is but I do feel it is somewhat ambiguous. Of course it depends on so many factors but 'best practice' guidelines has surprisingly little detail on this. Of course we are trying to get the carcass cooled and into cold storage asap but this is sometimes delayed for various legitimate reasons. Is it just me or is this an area we could all do with a little more knowledge on?

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry270 View Post
    As the days start to get warmer the trip to the chiller/game dealer becomes more of an immediate priority rather than after a second stalk. This has got me thinking. Apart from a handful of trips to highland / very remote locations, 99% of my stalking is in lowland with the vehicle perhaps 1.5 miles away at the most.

Are you in very remote locations? What is your accepted limit on fresh carcass to chiller timescale? What is your extraction method and how long does it take? Does this differ from years ago?
    When is warm outside I always have a large lump of packed ice in the car, so a carcass I may get will get it stuffed in the cavity while in the carcass tray and during transport back home. A 2Ltr plastic water bottle or similar vessel will do the job, or you can buy a few freezer packs and wrap them in a seal-able food bag for hygiene, or simply make a large lump of ice by freezing water in an old ice-cream container and wrap it in a clean bin-liner and stuff it in the cavity at first opportunity.
    You can also buy a little fridge/picnic box which has a small chiller unit that runs of the car's cigarette lighter, it will keep your ice frozen, and will serve as a good storage place for offal.
    Be aware not to get any melted ice water running out of the carcass and slopping about in the carcass tray, the mixture of blood, water and sand/mud and keds from the pelt do make for a very good 'cross-contanimation' opportunity.
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

Just know where your "local" supermarket is. Always bagged ice available.

Stan

Warm mornings 14degrees + possibly more of a problem once the mist burns off and the heat and flies begin. Definitely a morning for clipping two ribs and the top of the heart. Generally a race for the larder and you'll want to be there within a couple of hrs tops.

At least on the warm muggy evening the flies give up to certain extent after sun down.

Generally why it makes more sense to cull in the cooler months. The electricity bill for the cooler will rise substantially when used to cool carcases as well as keep them cooled

Get some plastic milk cartons, fill them 3/4 full with water and freeze them.
    take them in a cool box in your car and place in and around carcass to keep cool.

**only fill 3/4 as any more causes plastic to split when the water expands as ice.

Thanks for your input. I had never thought to go and buy a bag of ice cubes before! How much time does it really buy you though? I will give it a try at some point this summer if I'm not too bloodied to draw unwanted attention!

I can't imagine this working on the hill!? There must be stalking conducted over the warmer months in remote areas?

Get the beast gralloched quickly and opened up. If you can get it in some shade put of the sun and hanging up with a breeze blowing it will cool down pretty quickly. Plenty of deer are taken off the hill every year and it can be several hours before they get to the cold store and doesn't affect meet quality. In the summer I have left a roe in a tray in the back of the car overnight with windows slightly open with some ice blocks in the cavity until morning and it's been perfectly fine.

If it was going to be a few hours, As as well as the gralloch I would also remove the pluck and liver and split open the chest cavity but I would not split the haunches - the skin is the best protection against contamination etc.

Sorry chaps, bit behind on this thread, but a recent trip out got me thinking the same.
    Related; does anyone use mutton cloth to protect the meat when leaving to hang?
    Last edited by RickoShay; 31-03-2014 at 18:58. Reason: spleig
    "There comes in the dead of night a hand of cold steel that plucks the German sentries from their posts"
    WSC 1942

Quote Originally Posted by RickoShay View Post
    Sorry chaps, bit behind on this thread, but a recent trip out got me thinking the same.
    Related; does anyone use mutton cloth to protect the meat when leaving to hang?
    Haven't done it for a while but I have used a customised mozzie net before.