Help With Scope/Zeroing Problem.....

Hi All

I would be keen for any advise on a zeroing problem....

I have a Remmy 700 .243 which i now generally on use for foxing, it has a Stealth mod on it and until quite recently had a S&B scope which i sold in favour of a second hand 8 x 56 S&B.

Since having the "new" scope i seem to have problems maintaining zero, I've tried zeroing twice in the recent bad weather, every time i make a turret change i have tapped the turrets in case of sticking, but on say 10 clicks down I'm only getting a drop of 1" or so...., any amount adjustment only seems to make minimal change..

I nearly got into the black today so clicked 4 down & 4 to the left and the round was 7" low..... :eek:

I know i am not snatching the trigger, the weight of the mod is not preventing the barrel from floating, Weaver moiunts are tight, using factory (Federal) ammo - the only thing i can put the problem down is a faulty scope?......

Does anyone have any other theories?.....

Many thanks

Rob

Cheshire Lad said:
Hi All

I would be keen for any advise on a zeroing problem....

I have a Remmy 700 .243 which i now generally on use for foxing, it has a Stealth mod on it and until quite recently had a S&B scope which i sold in favour of a second hand 8 x 56 S&B.

Since having the "new" scope i seem to have problems maintaining zero, I've tried zeroing twice in the recent bad weather, every time i make a turret change i have tapped the turrets in case of sticking, but on say 10 clicks down I'm only getting a drop of 1" or so...., any amount adjustment only seems to make minimal change..

I nearly got into the black today so clicked 4 down & 4 to the left and the round was 7" low..... :eek:

I know i am not snatching the trigger, the weight of the mod is not preventing the barrel from floating, Weaver moiunts are tight, using factory (Federal) ammo - the only thing i can put the problem down is a faulty scope?......

Does anyone have any other theories?.....

Many thanks

Rob

I had a similar problem but on a .22LR that wouldn't hold it's zero, so took it to a gunsmith friend and when he took the scope off and shook it, you could feel the mechanism move very slightly. Not saying that's the problem with yours. The other problem I had was with the bolt that retains the mechanism and and barrel to the stock had come slightly loose so minor movements shifted the zero point.
That's the best I can offer.

Dave

Re: Zeroing problems

TonyC said:
My failure to hold zero was solved by tightening the moderator !!!!!!!

Tonyc

Oh dear :lol: I'll bet you feel daft now :oops: Luckily you didn't mention that the moderator was damaged.

Glad you sussed it out OK ;)

Hi cheshire lad.

When you alter the zero and it moves more than it should, are you having a few more shots to see if you are at least getting a consitant grouping.

Check the scope rings as i once had a Mannlicher and put a 6x42 S+B on it. At first it zeroed great but when i was out foxing one night i missed an absolute sitter and was puzzled why. When my mate put the lamp on the scope, it had moved a couple of mm. I tightened the rings and went out a rezeroed it a day or two later and could not for the life of me get a decent group. I was desparate for it to be right as i was starting my culling contract at the end of that month, so was really panicking. I took the gun back to the shop and was blaming anything i could. My gunshop owner askd me if the rings were tight and i said ofcourse they are, i only did them the previous few days. He had a go with the allen keys and managed to get another 1/4 of a turn out of each screw. After that i never had anymore problems and was one of the best rifles i had ever had.

I`m not saying this could be the problem, but it`s worth looking at, as S+B s are generally bomb proof.

ATB

wadas

Thanks for the comments chaps.

I have checked the mod is tight & checked all allen screws prior to shooting, also the stock screws are tight

I suppose the one thing i haven't checked is for a constant grouping without adjustment..., scrimping as running short of ammo..., also should check goupings/adjustment movement with without the mod..

The scope is in mint condition and i also have always considered S&B to be bomb proof.

Rgds

Rob

rob

have you tried putting your rifle on a bench pointing at a target with inch grid. you could thhen alter clicks to see if the reticule moved the coresponding amount, you could also tell if the aim returned to the centre when adjustment reversed.
when i got my 308 i couldnt get enough adjustment fronm the scope, turned out the mounts were damaged and had to be replaced.

pete

Hi Roedinater - your option is cetainly one to consider - thanks..

Hi Pete - hope your not suffering to much in the snow down there :)

I will try your suggestion tonight - sounds very logical as one to tick of the list - whilst at my RFD's last week i got him to rough zero with a colimator without the mod on - however my first shot went about 2 feet high when i put the mod back on....

Many thanks

Rob

Just thought you might be close enough to get you into the quarry, never mind, anyway, was the rifle ok with the original scope?, if so it can only be the replacement or the mounts, ammunition should not be an option if your using all same batch factory, if the tube is definately suitable to the mounts then I would consider a damaged scope as you say it's "NEW", if no physical damage you might consider temperature an issue, as I have been surprised to have focus wheel stiffening on some quality german bino's, the moving/bearing parts are lubed with a special grease & the temperatures of late have been out of the usual ranges we are used to, if you cannot resolve the problem you are welcome to visit down this way, lots of gear here to weed out problems. Steve. :)

20 clicks right 1 shot 20 clicks down 1 shot, 20 clicks left 1 shot, 20 clicks up 1 shot should bring you back to your original zero if not bin scope...

A syndicate member had the same poblem on a mannlicher pro hunter with a S/H S&B 8x56 on it,put a new scope on it problem solved..

One of the problems I would have with that scope now is confidence for it hold zero,reliability would always be in the back of my mind. I'm afraid it would have to go..

regards
griff

Back