Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smart phone advice pse

Smart phone advice pse

I've not had one before, and it seems a bit of a jungle.
    My daughter has the iphone4 and likes it a lot, seems a lot of money though (but they all do).
    I'd like an unlocked one so I can change networks, done that before on my old phone.
    Not keen on contracts, suppose a second hand one would be my best bet,don't need the latest one with the go faster stripes.

I'm not a great web surfer, it'd just be handy to see if ferries are on/off and train times etc on the move, suppose I should move with the times (grudgingly).
    I'm certainly not going into a phone shop to ask advice (perish the thought!) so I thought I'd ask the sd community....

Thanks
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

buy the last but one model - always sold cheap on eBay as the fashionistas want the latest

i4s and i5 models can be picked up fairly cheap (100 for 4s and 200 for 5)
    Android options are a wider choice but I dont know as much about them now

if you go SIM only you can get very good deals with 500MB or 1GB of data thrown in
    any more and you will pay a lot more

use the wifi as much as possible and keep the Data usage low

Quote Originally Posted by private fraser View Post
    I've not had one before, and it seems a bit of a jungle.
    My daughter has the iphone4 and likes it a lot, seems a lot of money though (but they all do).
    I'd like an unlocked one so I can change networks, done that before on my old phone.
    Not keen on contracts, suppose a second hand one would be my best bet,don't need the latest one with the go faster stripes.

I'm not a great web surfer, it'd just be handy to see if ferries are on/off and train times etc on the move, suppose I should move with the times (grudgingly).
    I'm certainly not going into a phone shop to ask advice (perish the thought!) so I thought I'd ask the sd community....

Thanks

Without doubt for the spec, the Google Nexus 5 is the best phone available - unlocked from Google direct 299 or I think CPW may be slightly cheaper.

If you can find one, the Nexus 4 has come down a lot in price and may be available under 200 and for what you are looking for would more than adequately do the job and be a bit cheaper. My Mrs has one and it is a great phone.

The other option would be the Motorola Moto G which is available PAYG for 99 and has excellent reviews, it would be locked to a network but being android it would be simple to get it unlocked should you need to.

Just be careful buying used phones, a lot are dodgy and you may find them blocked after purchase and also iPhones are very difficult to get unlocked unless you are the first owner on contract.

I'd try to buy new... Get on amazon or ebay and get the next to the latest as suggested. Wife and I have samsung galaxies..... but get whatever does what you want. I got on ebay and got a shockproof case that fits and looks just like the otterbox ones for 5 euro.. Kid I work with has the same phone as me with the real otterbox ($100+) and you can't tell them apart laying across the desk.... If not in a hurry, you'll find decent deals...

Have a look at the phones branded by CAT or JCB.
    The CAT (B15) seems to be quite good. Not an ultra modern or ultra fast processor, but for someone that spends time in the outdoors, probably a good investment.
    Drop proof (from 1.8meters) water and dustproof, aluminium body, gorilla glass screen...... Cat B15 Rugged Smartphone. 5MP Camera, GPS and Wi-Fi | Cat Phones

Good advice from Bewsher500. Only issue with buying secondhand is the battery might be on its way out after 2 years, expensive to replace.
    Willie

SD Regular
    I have an HTC Wildfire. Or somesuch silly name. Anyway an HTC.

Worst mobile phone that I have had for probably fifteen years since the last Motorola that I owned. Had Nokia for years and before that Ericsson. Both bomb proof. But at the time I needed a smartphone there wasn't a Nokia available.

I would never by choice ever have any HTC product again.

galaxy s2s and 3s good phones atb doug
    DONT START

smart phones have their uses but they are a pain.
    too fiddly ,too complicated ,let me down in an emergency.
    cannot see the screen without specs and cannot see at all in the sunlight.
    Ive got a 7.50 a month Tesco mobile HTC wildfire use it for tracking my location
    so my wife can see where I am whilst Im stalking
    and when I`m coming home for breakfast/dinner(GPS tracker greenalp.)
    but I dont like it as a mobile phone.

I now carry an extraphone for simplicity and emergency ... a T mobile non smart simple clamshell NokiaE1190 ( cost 2.99 plus a 10 top up)
    battery lasts two weeks. I know its there if I need it. simple back up mobile phone.

Thanks for all the info guy's.
    Much appreciated.

fraser
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"