RL19 + 90gr Nosler Ballistic Tip

NellyT

Quick question for the reloaders out there:

I am using RL19 with 90grn Nosler Ballistic tips, Load data is from the Nosler 7th Edition manual (new one), for this powder/Head combo the starting load is 39.5grn and max load of 43.5grn. My most accurate load is 42.5grn (5 round group touching at 100yrds) seated 20 thou of lands.

Having looked at a number of other recipes for this combo it seems 46.5 grn is listed as max load in other books, just puzzled by such a variance. If somebody could run my load through Quickload to see what the velocity might be (don't have a chrony) it would be much appreciated, I am running it through 22" 1 in 91/2 twist barrel.

Cheers

Quick question for the reloaders out there:

I am using RL19 with 90grn Nosler Ballistic tips, Load data is from the Nosler 7th Edition manual (new one), for this powder/Head combo the starting load is 39.5grn and max load of 43.5grn. My most accurate load is 42.5grn (5 round group touching at 100yrds) seated 20 thou of lands.

Having looked at a number of other recipes for this combo it seems 46.5 grn is listed as max load in other books, just puzzled by such a variance. If somebody could run my load through Quickload to see what the velocity might be (don't have a chrony) it would be much appreciated, I am running it through 22" 1 in 91/2 twist barrel.

Cheers

NellyT,
At best, Quick Load is about as accurate as the data from your loading manual so it won't tell you much. What you can do is to shoot a group at 100M and then at 200M and measure the drop. If you can get the BC of your bullet off of the net you can plug the numbers into a free downloadable ballistic calculator (there are many) and reverse engineer the velocity it took to generate your results at the range.~Muir

(PS: The reloader without a Chronograph flies blind...)

+1 what Muir said - You can work it back doing that.
Quick Load is pure theory & takes no account of your rifle barrel & wont reliably predict your actual velocity- Not real world! (Good for wildcat load prediction - but that is not where you're at)
Best bet is to buy a Chrony - Measures your actual bullet performance - Genuine real world.
You don't need to know any more than your bullet velocity & its ballistic coefficient - assuming you have no pressure signs with your best load, it doesn't matter what the loading data manuals say is their theoretical maximum load. You're loading safe & getting optimum accuracy - What more do you want?

Ian

Point taken, chrony will be next step, the last Roe and Fox didn't have much to say about the load, accuracy is great and no signs of pressure.

Cheers

+1 what Muir said - You can work it back doing that.
Quick Load is pure theory & takes no account of your rifle barrel & wont reliably predict your actual velocity- Not real world! (Good for wildcat load prediction - but that is not where you're at)
Best bet is to buy a Chrony - Measures your actual bullet performance - Genuine real world.
You don't need to know any more than your bullet velocity & its ballistic coefficient - assuming you have no pressure signs with your best load, it doesn't matter what the loading data manuals say is their theoretical maximum load. You're loading safe & getting optimum accuracy - What more do you want?

Ian

Back