Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scam email

Scam email

HI just an heads up to everyone i recieved two emails today from a supposed police dept ,claiming that i have been fined for vehicle tax evasion, after numurous calls to swansea ,they said they never send emails to people about fines so i think its just a scam to get cash off people for old vehicles or vehicles sold on, regards doug,
    DONT START

Are you involved in Vehicle Tax evasion ?
    If not, why didn't you recognise it as spam and just delete it, it would have saved a phone call to Swansea.

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    Are you involved in Vehicle Tax evasion ?
    If not, why didn't you recognise it as spam and just delete it, it would have saved a phone call to Swansea.
    Dont be silly i recieved an email from some police dept to collect unpaid car tax on my last vehicle but no reg or real info,so i phoned swansea to double check that some one wasnt riding about in my last vehicle with dodgy tax, as a couple of weeks ago my mate had something simular atb doug, ps i dont know wether everyone knows but you are elligable for unpaid tax on sold vehicles even if youve sent off SORN to swansea, AND not recieved WRITTEN , confirmation back from them within four weeks, maybe i should have deleted original thread, is there a button on here that says you have to reply to post that you dont like or dont agree with, why not just read it and move on ,dont get all anal about it jeeesh,
    Last edited by AN DU RU FOX; 20-03-2014 at 17:37.
    DONT START

I've not been called silly for a long time, so thanks for that.
    Non the less, based on your first post, it seems you went to a lot of trouble for nothing, just wondered why, so asked what I thought was a perfectly straighforward question.

Hi EMcC i didnt want to call anyone silly ,sorry for that but you insinuated i was because i chased up an email asking for money from a police dept and not much more details on it, regards doug,
    DONT START

Hi Dougy,
    I wondered why you thought there might have been any truth in the e mail, that was all.
    I, being an ex police officer, would have dismissed it out of hand that was the only reason I wondered why you chased it up.

the only reason on my part to chase it up was, 1 it looked official , 2 i recently sold a honda crv back in september ,so i wondered if someone is driving about in it claiming to be me, doug, ps after checking with swansea everythings ok i am on data base as having sold on the vehicle,
    Last edited by AN DU RU FOX; 20-03-2014 at 19:15.
    DONT START

Ah, Recently sold vehicle, I see what you mean.
    In that case a quick 'phone call was worth it for peace of mind.

there you go i could have ignored it, but as you say its peace of mind at the end of the day thats why i made the post,plus being a fac holder and sgc holder i thought it was better to be safe than sorry,
    DONT START

Apologies if I have missed something but how would the Police have your email Address to send it in the first place?

Yorkie.