Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This evenings tinkering, another knife project

This evenings tinkering, another knife project

Been a good long while since I did one of these!

Got a few projects on the bench at the minute. Tonight, or should I say last night, I've been sticking a handle on the bottom one in this pic:

The handle timber is stabilised Elm burl and brass liners.

This evening, after the timber was cut and flattened off, i drilled the pin holes and did some dry fitting.

She's now glued up, and I'm living the longest 24 hours of my life till i can start shaping the handle. :pirate:

The blade is 154CM stainless.

Choon in later on today for the next instalment. If you can be bovvered that is.
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

Off up to Norfolk stalking in an hour or so, but got this where i need it this evening.

I'll 'finish' it next week some time, but for now I've left the bulk of the handle a bit chunky so it will fit another sheath this weekend.

Gives an idea about how the timber will look though.

Fank you, g'night, much love.
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

Looking good matey enjoy sunny Norfolk and let us know how it went!
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Oh my gods, you are an artist my friend. If you don't mind expect your inbox to full of questions from me.
    I am just starting out on this fascinating hobby.
    Tusker

Quote Originally Posted by tusker View Post
    Oh my gods, you are an artist my friend. If you don't mind expect your inbox to full of questions from me.
    I am just starting out on this fascinating hobby.
    Tusker
    Ooh i dunno about that! Them ar'teests are a bit..... Ya know......

Pester away mon brave.

Got a few lads on the go at the minute. Must clear some space in there!

I was just dribbling while reading this that is a lovely looking knife i hope your going to put it in a nice thickbrown leather sheath

then then send me your paypal info for me to buy it lol

started dribbling again

Looks fantastic digger. The brass scales worked out really well. Are you using a pigment in the epoxy to fill the file work ?

Fantastic work very well done do you ever sell any knives ?
    atb Jim
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

Quote Originally Posted by Markfox View Post
    I was just dribbling while reading this that is a lovely looking knife i hope your going to put it in a nice thickbrown leather sheath

then then send me your paypal info for me to buy it lol

started dribbling again

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1984 View Post
    Fantastic work very well done do you ever sell any knives ?
    atb Jim
    Glad you like it boys.

I took a trade membership a fair while ago to sell some on here, but it seems those two commissions have gone south as they got fed up with waiting, despite the fact that they'd gone through the exact same scenario of having to wait on the knives I did for them before!

I wanted to get cracking on them over my Christmas break, but my brother died on Christmas Eve which kind of put the kibosh on any and all projects that I had planned.

Seeing as i I lost two mates over it as well, I'll not be doing commissions anymore. Instead I'll just tinker away in my own good time without any fallouts.

For me the knife work is very much a case of doing 10 or 20 minutes on it here and there whenever I get the time.
    It will take me many months to do what the likes of Stuart Mitchell can do in a week or so. But then I've done less than 20 knives in my life, that's just a small batch for Stu!

So my recommendation is the same as I always say when I get a PM about it, look not to me, but one of the trade members. For therein lies happiness in a short turnaround time.

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Looks fantastic digger. The brass scales worked out really well. Are you using a pigment in the epoxy to fill the file work ?
    No pigment this time David, left it clear.

Was thinking it would allow the brass to shine through on a sunny day. Not had a chance to see if that worked yet though.