Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first 3d printed metal firearm (apparently)

first 3d printed metal firearm (apparently)

How do you print stainless steel ?, Id be more convinced if it shown the manufacturing process , CNC milling machines have been able to do this for decades , just load a billet of steel and the program the miller , go for a coffee , when you come back you have a precision made component .

Quote Originally Posted by Johno100 View Post
    How do you print stainless steel ?, Id be more convinced if it shown the manufacturing process , CNC milling machines have been able to do this for decades , just load a billet of steel and the program the miller , go for a coffee , when you come back you have a precision made component .
    Metal 3D Printing | Metal Additive Manufacturing | 3T RPD
    Hence them going on about DMLS

I guess that this MAY lead to great control over primers and powders as these are the elements that cannot be printed.

Well I don't know how it works, I expect a little digging on their website would shed a little light, but it is impressive. I think modern technology in whatever form is fascinating.

John

There you go, Tamar and I must have been tying at the same time
    Last edited by JAYB; 21-03-2014 at 09:28. Reason: Updated
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Quote Originally Posted by Tamar View Post

I guess that this MAY lead to great control over primers and powders as these are the elements that cannot be printed.
    There is no reason to start scare mongering rumors like this!
    The laser equipment needed to produce steel gun components will be ridiculously expensive & specialized. - A totally different system from that needed to produce plastic parts.
    You don't need expensive machinery to produce a fully functioning weapon. How do you think the early weapons were made???? Simple turning & milling is all that is needed (plus a bit of engineering knowledge)

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Yorric View Post
    There is no reason to start scare mongering rumors like this!
    The laser equipment needed to produce steel gun components will be ridiculously expensive & specialized. - A totally different system from that needed to produce plastic parts.
    You don't need expensive machinery to produce a fully functioning weapon. How do you think the early weapons were made???? Simple turning & milling is all that is needed (plus a bit of engineering knowledge)

Ian
    "I guess that this MAY..."

Wild speculation on my part and I freely admit it. I know that you don't need expensive machinary; You know that you don't need expensive machinary; We know that you don't need expensive machinary; but as we've seen before, knee-jerk reactions are not always as rationale and logically thought through as one might hope.

IVE SENT THEM AN EMAIL ASKING IF THEY COULD DO ME A 3D Roe Buck so i can shoot it with a 3d Rifle

theie reply was

a solid 3d feck off
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

It isn't really "Printing"

the laser solidifies a powder or liquid substrate in a very specific and controllable way that allows CNC design of very intricate parts that would cost significantly more to CNC mill or cast

Never mind the politics or legal shenanigans
    The question asked of these printers was how strong are the end materials produced

strong enough for pistol pressures it seems

It will revolutionise the production of components (guns or otherwise)
    Instead of GMK ordering in bits made in germany, czech republic
    they could just email you the CNC program and an RFD could print you a new Blaser bolts head, or an extractor claw or etc etc

Tamar - My point is that you have just published an idea that the antis could very easily latch on to & use against our interests! Doh - Metaphorically shooting yourself in the foot springs to mind.

Bewsher500 - I agree with most of what you say except the cost bit - especially in the short to medium term when you take into consideration all costs - capital - development - raw material - inspection - testing - certification/proof etc etc & not forgetting the bullsh*t profit premium that would invariably be added to such a product.

Also how many RFDs would I trust with all the above? ---- Not many.

I do like the technology though - Please don't think of me as Luddite with my head in the sand. 40 years in engineering has taught me what things really cost.

Ian

It's really quite simple. If you do not have a licence you are then in possession of an I licenced firearm, whether this has been hand made, stolen, bought from a man in the pub or 3d printed.

A gun can very easily be made from what you would find in an car or garage scrap pile and some basic tools - might be pretty crude but they will work. The Sten Gun and similar were designed to be made on very simple machines.