Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The free standing shot... would you?

The free standing shot... would you?

it tickles me sometimes when people bang on about getting position and sticks etc right when actually you just need to shoot the thing already or it's going to sod off. Last night I was out for a cheeky hour and expected to see the odd deer moving across the rides and tracks along the ground which is 90% woodland but with nice mature material to look through. This isn't the sort of ground you get long on a shot and can't mess about or your chance in long gone.

Anyhoo, last half our of dark a deer breaks cover and is crossing from on side of the wood to the other across a track and will give at best a few moments before it's lost. So my stick is dropped on the grass, rifle whipped up and in the optic it's a doe so 'oi' and safety off, sweep the red dot into the shoulder and pop. All in a few moments and a deer is flat down and not moving. A bit testing at 80m but I wouldn't have shot if I wasn't sure.

This is the second deer in a week off this ground and both free hand shot, no time for anything else. My point is that I remember in years gone by that I would mess about setting up sticks or trying to sort out the bipod but in doing so the opportunities would evaporate. But now after a lot of practice and repetition or cinema ranges and with our own running target rig at home it's just another position to use.

Practice it and if your comfortable then use it and certainly don't be afraid of shooting quickly when it's an all or nothing situation providing it is obviously safe and confident in making a lethal shot.. but I bet it's not for everyone! atb p

I shoot freehand sometimes but I do a fair bit of freehand practice with the .22 at the club.

is the hat on there to cover the bullet strike?

I have done it from time to time. I find it nigh on impossible to do with my Kelbly .243 with a heavy barrel and a moderator unless the beast is very close. Easier to do with my Sako 30.06, which despite having the same PES moderator, has a shorter lighter barrel.

I have borrowed an 'estate rifle' a number of times a .308, a snub nosed thing with one of those Bavarian style stocks where the wood goes right to the end of the barrel. I found it perfect for stalking Fallow in thick woodland where you often have a few seconds to take your shot and I have shot quite a few freehand with it. It feels very light and point-able with no moderator and a short barrel.
    Very loud though

Terrible, unprofessional , dangerous, a disgrace , you can,t write that and show photos what would the antis say,

But apart from that, most of my shots in woodland are free hand, that it why I like my 3030, comes to hand so easily, and well balanced.
    no wonder you hit that deer with a pair of binoculars around its neck and a hat on its arse it had no way of escaping.

Quote Originally Posted by guybaxendale View Post
    I have borrowed an 'estate rifle' a number of times a .308, a snub nosed thing with one of those Bavarian style stocks where the wood goes right to the end of the barrel. I found it perfect for stalking Fallow in thick woodland where you often have a few seconds to take your shot and I have shot quite a few freehand with it. It feels very light and point-able with no moderator and a short barrel.
    Very loud though
    I have one in 7-08 and it really isn't very loud at all, despite only having a 20" barrel. It really does handle and point beautifully, which was one of my main reasons for choosing that style of rifle. I haven't yet taken an offhand shot at a deer though, I lack the experience to try that with any confidence, unless perhaps it was right in front of me.

Quote Originally Posted by PointBlank View Post
    I shoot freehand sometimes but I do a fair bit of freehand practice with the .22 at the club.

is the hat on there to cover the bullet strike?

Sure - why not.

If you stay within your known cababilities, there's no reason not to.

I've shot a few free hand. I have even head shot one free hand... at 15m. And that was exactly under these conditions: thick wood, deer pushed onto ride ahead of me, turned and looked at me, and was about to bolt.

Got to wonder about that hat though...

why not ? just like any other shot , as long as your comfortable you can put the bullet where you want?
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

I can't see a problem with free hand if you have the skills and are practiced at it , you don't see many army/service chaps with sticks on the news ! but that said i don't advocate doing free hand if its not in the box or within a skill limit

but get in practice in if you are to go to the H4H its a moving target at speed 100 yrd centerfire and 75 yrds with a .22