Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GWP stud question

GWP stud question

My local vet wants to use my 16month old GWP to cover his bitch. Neither of the dogs have mated before, I have no experience with this sort of thing (Vet does).
    As this is his first time, can I charge a stud fee?
    If so how much?
    Can I request a pup?
    I appreciate any advice given.
    Pete

Hi

If the mating is successful of course you can charge for your dogs services, good GWP pups are going for 600 to 800. So the choice is yours take a pup or stud fee.

Has the dog been checked for any illnesses associated with GWP's , most owners of the bitch there wanting lined will ask for this ? The vet may come in handy for that !!! Just make sure your happy with your dogs traits and abilities etc etc and get everything agreed before the mating happens saves any hassle later down the line.

Deepocean.
    The parents are VWD clear with good hip scores.
    I have not had him checked as I didn't intend to use him as a stud dog.
    I use him for picking up with my working cocker at some prestigious shoots in the are.
    As far as temperament is concerned, he is very sound, not aggressive, slightly soft, and very affectionate.
    He has excellent marking abilities -watching birds until they exit the field.
    Good stamp of a dog without being too big.
    Thanks for your advice.
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Sprocket1 View Post
    Deepocean.
    The parents are VWD clear with good hip scores.
    I have not had him checked as I didn't intend to use him as a stud dog.
    I use him for picking up with my working cocker at some prestigious shoots in the are.
    As far as temperament is concerned, he is very sound, not aggressive, slightly soft, and very affectionate.
    He has excellent marking abilities -watching birds until they exit the field.
    Good stamp of a dog without being too big.
    Thanks for your advice.
    Pete
    Are you sure he his is a wirehair,SOFT,NOT AGGRESSIVE.
    Hunting isn't just something I do it's part of who I am

I was in the same situation with my bitch and was happy to try the stud dog on the basis of the value of a pup as stud fee once the litter was born and he was proved etc
    Assuming all the health checks done and decent hip scores and that they aren't related there is no real reason not to, as its a vet asking he is likely to be fairly sure about your dog and his suitability.

I dont want to sound off but id like to ask on what basis does the vet think your dog is the one to suit his bitch ? At such a young age I wouldn't imagine its much of a working history has it ? Not wanting to kick off a match but just my opinions.
    Regards
    Jimmy

Hi Jimmy
    It's a shame that you don't know the dog or had the opportunity to see him work, The vet has- which probably made his mind up. He was originally going to use another stud dog but after seeing mine work and checking his temperament (confident, good natured, obedient,) he asked if he could use him. The reason for my first post was to find out how it works as I have no experience at breeding. This probably sounds strange coming from somebody that has trained (and helped others train) gundogs (Mainly Spaniels) to a trialling level and used them on some of the Top shoots in our area for several years.
    I hope that answers your question - without wishing to upset anyone viewing this post.
    Regards
    Pete

Hi al4x1
    Thank you for your comment, I will bear this in mind when I next talk to the vet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprocket1 View Post
    Hi Jimmy
    It's a shame that you don't know the dog or had the opportunity to see him work, The vet has- which probably made his mind up. He was originally going to use another stud dog but after seeing mine work and checking his temperament (confident, good natured, obedient,) he asked if he could use him. The reason for my first post was to find out how it works as I have no experience at breeding. This probably sounds strange coming from somebody that has trained (and helped others train) gundogs (Mainly Spaniels) to a trialling level and used them on some of the Top shoots in our area for several years.
    I hope that answers your question - without wishing to upset anyone viewing this post.
    Regards
    Pete
    Touchy! That's a joke by the way, I know how easily the written word can be misunderstood.

I must be honest, the first time I read the OP, I thought that 16 months was quite young to be used as a stud dog. When you think about it though, a dog can be a FTCH by that age, so his working ability can be proven. As can his confirmation and his health. So why not?

I'd be more concerned about how it will affect his training/attitude. Does using a young dog as a stud affect them? I don't know? I've never owned a stud dog. I have asked people to use their dogs who have refused on this basis though.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Hi Shabz
    A friend has several stud dogs (Spaniels and Labs) that he uses for trialling - his dogs continue to work better than most others in the area - so going on his advice I can't see that it will make much difference - however I guess it is different between individual dogs and breeds. The only way to find out is to try it, and if it all goes wrong ? well I guess it's time to start again.
    Regards "Touchy Pete"