GWP stud question

Sprocket1

My local vet wants to use my 16month old GWP to cover his bitch. Neither of the dogs have mated before, I have no experience with this sort of thing (Vet does).
As this is his first time, can I charge a stud fee?
If so how much?
Can I request a pup?
I appreciate any advice given.
Pete

Hi

If the mating is successful of course you can charge for your dogs services, good GWP pups are going for £600 to £800. So the choice is yours take a pup or stud fee.

Has the dog been checked for any illnesses associated with GWP's , most owners of the bitch there wanting lined will ask for this ? The vet may come in handy for that !!! Just make sure your happy with your dogs traits and abilities etc etc and get everything agreed before the mating happens saves any hassle later down the line.

Deepocean.
The parents are VWD clear with good hip scores.
I have not had him checked as I didn't intend to use him as a stud dog.
I use him for picking up with my working cocker at some prestigious shoots in the are.
As far as temperament is concerned, he is very sound, not aggressive, slightly soft, and very affectionate.
He has excellent marking abilities -watching birds until they exit the field.
Good stamp of a dog without being too big.
Thanks for your advice.
Pete

Deepocean.
The parents are VWD clear with good hip scores.
I have not had him checked as I didn't intend to use him as a stud dog.
I use him for picking up with my working cocker at some prestigious shoots in the are.
As far as temperament is concerned, he is very sound, not aggressive, slightly soft, and very affectionate.
He has excellent marking abilities -watching birds until they exit the field.
Good stamp of a dog without being too big.
Thanks for your advice.
Pete

Are you sure he his is a wirehair,SOFT,NOT AGGRESSIVE.:rofl:

I was in the same situation with my bitch and was happy to try the stud dog on the basis of the value of a pup as stud fee once the litter was born and he was proved etc
Assuming all the health checks done and decent hip scores and that they aren't related there is no real reason not to, as its a vet asking he is likely to be fairly sure about your dog and his suitability.

I dont want to sound off but id like to ask on what basis does the vet think your dog is the one to suit his bitch ? At such a young age I wouldn't imagine its much of a working history has it ? Not wanting to kick off a match but just my opinions.
Regards
Jimmy

Hi Jimmy
It's a shame that you don't know the dog or had the opportunity to see him work, The vet has- which probably made his mind up. He was originally going to use another stud dog but after seeing mine work and checking his temperament (confident, good natured, obedient,) he asked if he could use him. The reason for my first post was to find out how it works as I have no experience at breeding. This probably sounds strange coming from somebody that has trained (and helped others train) gundogs (Mainly Spaniels) to a trialling level and used them on some of the Top shoots in our area for several years.
I hope that answers your question - without wishing to upset anyone viewing this post.
Regards
Pete

Hi Jimmy
It's a shame that you don't know the dog or had the opportunity to see him work, The vet has- which probably made his mind up. He was originally going to use another stud dog but after seeing mine work and checking his temperament (confident, good natured, obedient,) he asked if he could use him. The reason for my first post was to find out how it works as I have no experience at breeding. This probably sounds strange coming from somebody that has trained (and helped others train) gundogs (Mainly Spaniels) to a trialling level and used them on some of the Top shoots in our area for several years.
I hope that answers your question - without wishing to upset anyone viewing this post.
Regards
Pete

Touchy! That's a joke by the way, I know how easily the written word can be misunderstood.

I must be honest, the first time I read the OP, I thought that 16 months was quite young to be used as a stud dog. When you think about it though, a dog can be a FTCH by that age, so his working ability can be proven. As can his confirmation and his health. So why not?

I'd be more concerned about how it will affect his training/attitude. Does using a young dog as a stud affect them? I don't know? I've never owned a stud dog. I have asked people to use their dogs who have refused on this basis though.

Hi Shabz
A friend has several stud dogs (Spaniels and Labs) that he uses for trialling - his dogs continue to work better than most others in the area - so going on his advice I can't see that it will make much difference - however I guess it is different between individual dogs and breeds. The only way to find out is to try it, and if it all goes wrong ? well I guess it's time to start again.
Regards "Touchy Pete" :D

Hi Shabz
A friend has several stud dogs (Spaniels and Labs) that he uses for trialling - his dogs continue to work better than most others in the area - so going on his advice I can't see that it will make much difference - however I guess it is different between individual dogs and breeds. The only way to find out is to try it, and if it all goes wrong ? well I guess it's time to start again.
Regards "Touchy Pete" :D

Pete
remember you are not talking about a lab or a springer here
16 months is not a great age for a highly strung breed
another 12 months will define your dogs training to what ever it will be and show you your dogs temperant for life
Why ruin your own dog because of advice of others who breed for money
should be breeding for the good of the breed instead

Stone
That sounds like good advice.
I'm not in it for the money and have nothing to prove.
I strongly believe in breeding for the good of the breed so I might tell the vet-I don't think he's ready yet.
Much obliged (Giving my age away there)
Pete

My opinion for what it is worth is 16months is a bit young for a GWP. They don't really mature until much later, so I wouldn't do it with mine without impartial expert advice. It may well affect his character/temprement. If you have a good one that people want to use already, then you will not be short of offers in a year when the dog has proved himself and matured. (I don't believe a dog has proved itself until it has done a whole year, stalking, foxes, picking up etc, or at least 1 hard season in a discipline) Eg My eldest dog has seen over 1200 foxes, I can safely say he is a good fox dog.

Take your time with him, and it will pay dividends over his lifetime.

Maybe ask Mustwork on here(or via there website), they are excellent knowledgable breeders and impartial to your situation.

Pete
remember you are not talking about a lab or a springer here
16 months is not a great age for a highly strung breed
another 12 months will define your dogs training to what ever it will be and show you your dogs temperant for life
Why ruin your own dog because of advice of others who breed for money
should be breeding for the good of the breed instead

Well put. That's what I was trying to say. My own GWP bitch was very immature and still very puppy like at 3 years old. She's still quite puppyish at five! Like touchy Pete says, he hasn't anything to prove and unless the vets bitch is very old, then why not wait another twelve months? Minimise the risk of ruining your dog.

Feely Shabz.

Thank you all for your comments.
I have rang the vet and told him that its not going to happen this time around and have told him he is welcome to use the original stud dog if he wishes.
He has decided to wait and use my lad when he is ready.
Best Regards
from a VERY TOUCHY Pete LOL:D

Back