Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back down an old road. Air Rifles for off hand practice.

Back down an old road. Air Rifles for off hand practice.

Back in my competition days I used to shoot an air rifle at the house every evening to keep in trim for my competition. Back then, I lived 18 miles from the nearest shooting facility and the use of the air gun was a real boon to my scores and kept feral cats away from nesting road-runners on my property.

Last week I burned up a Cabelas gift card on a piston air gun with a scope. It was an inexpensive item but had a nitrogen gas piston instead of a spring which is supposed to be better on noise and recoil, and the gun was rated high among reviewers. After 200 rounds the gun is broken in and I am -despite the abysmal eight pound trigger- getting very small groups off hand shooting in the back yard from 12-15M. I have a custom trigger arriving this morning and found an old (but brilliant) Japanese air rifle scope in my junk box to replace the Chinese offering that came with the gun. By this afternoon it will be a better rifle and hopefully make me a better shot.

With 22LR ammo hard to get and expensive when you find it, this is some very good and cheap practice. The pellets my rifle liked best are about 1.2 pennies each, but the ones that are a very close second place are about half that. I'm glad I took the plunge....~Muir

The only air rifle I still have is a Brno CO2, youth size, with open and diopter sights, adjustable stock, sling and cuff, which was a training rifle for the Soviet states. I used it to train my children, their friends and Boy Scouts. I am thinking of getting another large air rifle, so I can do more shooting in my limited free time. It is great training, and very inexpensive to shoot. A small bullet trap can be carried and set up anywhere - outside or in a house. The gas guns don't have the jarring recoil on scopes which the spring air guns have.

Hiya
    Many of us 'cut our teeth' on air-rifles - there is not much more than has been said about practicing in the 'back yard'.
    Still rem my original Chinese air-rifle that shot a couple of inches (yes I am old) off due to a non-straight barrel.
    This enthuised me to move on............

Regards, F

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    The gas guns don't have the jarring recoil on scopes which the spring air guns have.
    Oh they do. Put a cheap, or even a not so cheap scope on an eliminator (crow magnum for the us guys) and you'll get broken scopes a plenty.

I use mine for practice, the hold and follow through needs to be absolutely spot on to get a good shot, so it really helps with consistency. Used correctly, I can easily take rooks out of trees at 60 yards, hold it wrong and you'll miss tin cans at 15. But as Muir says, good, cheap fun practice.

Pete
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

As well as my full bore rifles, I too have a fondness for air rifles and recently bought those I wanted in my youth and could not afford, I have an Air Arms S510 FAC .22 for squirrels and other vermin, very accurate out to 80 yards, a BSA Airsporter MK 6 as I always wanted an Airsporter, then found a Airsporter MK 2, again in mint condition with all the original box and accessories, a .22 BSA Airsporter Stutzen in poor condition I'm renovating, a Crossman 600 pistol which is fantastic fun to shoot, and a .177 Walther LP 53 pistol. Could never afford them on an engineering apprentices money, drooled over each one as I turned them done to buy a scooter and become a "mod" in the 60's now I can afford them, now I have them and enjoy them. It does sharpen up your shooting skills, one shot only is challenging. deerwarden.

Great fun the old slug guns, going back many years I cut my teeth on an ancient
    old Diana .177 air pistol, then graduating onto a BSA meteor, anyone remember
    them? Great wee rifle, still wish I had it. Many head of 'game' fell to that rifle.
    I use game in the loosest possible terms...

Quote Originally Posted by Cadex View Post
    Great fun the old slug guns, going back many years I cut my teeth on an ancient
    old Diana .177 air pistol, then graduating onto a BSA meteor, anyone remember
    them? Great wee rifle, still wish I had it. Many head of 'game' fell to that rifle.
    I use game in the loosest possible terms...
    Ahh the good ol' meteor. I had one in 177, then a HW77k in 22, then one in 25, then a Diana 52 in 22, that was a heavy old rifle. Then I had a few years break, then went out and bought a HW97 in 22, then px'd it for a 22 air arms s410, used that for several years with a gen1 nv scope, then got my fac, sold up the air guns to fund 'real guns' but recently bought the eliminator, they really do have their uses on the farm. Certainly when it comes to knocking the rooks out the trees, shotgun too noisy, rimfire too dangerous to shoot into the sky. I think a multi shot fac airgun might be due though, the theoben is a bit*h to cock within the landy

Pete
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

I have 6 springers and 2 PCPs and wouldn't be without them.

I do a lot of rabbit control and air rifles are sometimes the only viable/allowable method.

I took well over 1000 rabbits and loads of pigeons last year with them

Frankly I think they deserve a lot more attention and credit than they often enjoy. They are extremely effective in the right hands and offer inexpensive shooting practice to boot.

Thumbs up from me

I shoot quite a few feral pigeons in and around cattle sheds, where anything else would hole the roof sheeting.

Great for keeping your eye in for centrefires and bigger quarry.

Me, on my own, one afternoon last summer with my .22 sub 12 FPE Logun Dominator and my useless excuse for a gun dog:

Me, on my own, the following day on the same permission:

This particular permission wouldn't ever entertain anything further up the food chain than an air rifle due to the very high risk of damage to high value property. I took over 400 rabbits off that one permission during 2013 alone, all with spring and PCP air rifles

The scale of the problem was massive, but is now well under control, and the landowner was so pleased I ended up with three other permissions in the area as a result, one of them includes deer control