Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scope Wanted

Scope Wanted

Looking for a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50 (preferably with target turrets)

Would consider an equivalent Leupold (thinner ret pref with Illum)

Dan

I just bought one from the States. Great piece of kit.

Greg

Never had a Zeiss Conquest so can't comment on the actual item but just be aware that Zeiss UK seem to be washing their hands of them and recomending that people think very carefully before buying, read into that what you will. As for Leupolds, at the last count I had six (including two 4.5-14x50's), read into that what you will too. JC

Well in that case the Leupold have gone from a maybe into an equal footing.

4.5 - 14 x 50 with the narrow crosshairs, illumination and adj (target) turrets Leupold

or

Conquest 4.5 - 14 x 50

Dan

leupold

how can you compare a leupold to a zeiss even if it a conquest.

like comparing a mercedes to a chevrolet.

I have mate who has both bought from america where they at least reasonable value. For F88K sake if you are buying a loopy buy it from USA, even with customs you will save a packet.

The reason they are popular over here in retailers might be down to the fact they have a marvelous markup to retail (over 100%).

As for zeiss washing their hands of them, I know of a chap that sent his conquest back to zeiss germany to get the reticle changed from the US plex to a european No.7 and it cost him 75 plus postage.

much nonsense from UK retailers about warranties etc, blah,blah,blah,
    they just want to look after number one and i would do it to if i was in their shoes.

the internet has opened the door for UK shoppers and for me it is worth the gamble every time.

Maybe the case but i dont want to spend my budget on a scope from America and then find that i get walloped with the tax (i dont really know how you avoid this) only to find that i could have bought a better second hand one for the price i eventually paid.

I would, in all honesty prefer a Conquest (just a gut feeling) but you dont see many about

Dan

Some people receive items from all over the place marked "repair" or "warranty " "replacement for damaged goods" etc, etc, & as such should not attract further taxation. 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Newcombe
    Maybe the case but i dont want to spend my budget on a scope from America and then find that i get walloped with the tax (i dont really know how you avoid this) only to find that i could have bought a better second hand one for the price i eventually paid.

I would, in all honesty prefer a Conquest (just a gut feeling) but you dont see many about

Dan
    I was in the states not that long ago and went to Cabelas, to be honest the leupold scope i eventually got (second hand in the UK) a 4.5-14x50 LR illuminated was not that much cheaper over there with the Tax / customs added than buying back here. Plus if it did go wrong then you have the issues/costs of getting it back to the shop where you bought it.

I would hunt round for a second hand one from in the UK personally, mine cost me 500 in mint condition off ebay and i think they retail at just shy of a grand. I know nothing about the Conquests so can't comment on them.

Just my personal coments. Good luck with finding one you like.

Regards

Jim

Zeiss Conquest

Just for the record, it wasn't a retailer warning me off buying a Conquest scope, It was the two main men from Zeiss UK when speaking to a Stalkers meeting (70+ in attendence) in Norfolk!

NO NO NO NO NO....

Comparing a Leup to even a Zeiss is like comparing Chrysler to a BMW.

The first's marketing ad's are so good you think they are as good as BMW - when you sit and think they are incomparable. If Leupolds scopes were as good as their marketing efforts they would be the best scopes in the world - when we all know they are definately not.

Have you ever tried sending a 'lifetime guarenteed' leup back??? - Forget about it....even though Zeiss's sales back-up is bad -

Zeiss - Simples!

Tom