Thread: Sako Iron Sights

Sako Iron Sights

Anyone have any experience of removing the front iron sight off a Sako 85 ?

I have been told that it is bonded on and be removed with some gentle heat. I tried some steam from the kettle but no joy.
    Is this a job for a gunsmith or was i on the right track?

I don't own an 85. My Sakos all have iron sights, held on with two screws - a short one in the ramp and a a longer screw in the dovetail, under the bead.
    Slide off the cover, if it has one,
    push out the bead with a sight pusher ( the dovetail may be tapered a bit open side to the right is normal ).
    Remove the screws

This one shows a spring-loaded bead which slides in from the front, probably made by Recknagel.
    You can change out bead height, brass, ivory, plastic.

FRONT SIGHT SAKO 85 & QUAD | Brownells
    Last edited by Southern; 22-03-2014 at 19:48.

Thanks - all sorted. I had to remove the spring loaded bead and there was another screw underneath.

You probably already know, but the holes take standard filler screws, which you can order from Midway, Beretta, or get from a gunsmith or dealer, who probably has a jar of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    You probably already know, but the holes take standard filler screws, which you can order from Midway, Beretta, or get from a gunsmith or dealer, who probably has a jar of them.

Thanks - I ordered some from Midway - fingers crossed they are the right thread

Be gentle - it is tiny. It is probably an M18-1 thread. Midway or Brownells surely know. There are only about 4 English and 4 Metric sizes used.

Sako did sweat ( solder ) their front sights on prior to the 1972 models, then went to screw on for about two years, then back to sweated on for a while. I am no Sako expert, but only know this from owning several Foresters and L61Rs, and now an L61R Finnbear .375 H&H made in that 2-year period.

They are all wonderful. Enjoy.