Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: got stopped last night/legality of copies of your cert's

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)

got stopped last night/legality of copies of your cert's

Well i have been stopped over the years in a few places when out shooting/driving to a shoot/coming home from a stalk/lamping in the wee small hours etc.

But out with Steve on here and had the local boys turn up to check us out,

anyway when stopped i was just booking on to HQ hants police, so we where then asked for our certificates,

me being a bit of a typical jock said.

I don't have it as i misplaced one a long time ago so no longer carry it with me, but will produce it etc. one officer then stated its the law you must be able to blah blah blah.

they done the checks, name address etc, but while i was getting questioned at the rear of the veh with one officer (the other was checking Steve over) i said i have a copy of mine in my kit bag.

now at this point i thought i was going to be told something like "this is not allowed" and i could have been in a tad hot water, but nothing was said.

now i am not sure if that was down to the fact that the replies from the call centre where these guys are all legal etc or the fact that a mate of steve's who is a police officer chipped in to say we are all ok made them just forget that i had just a copy and steve's is in for a variation, but needless to say they where doing their job and we where left along to get on with the foxing.

so your thoughts on the legality of a copy of your cert/carrying your's with you ? (this has been done to death but i never really care what they think i just do not like taking my ticket with me)

bob.
    Last edited by bobjs; 22-03-2014 at 19:35.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

The wording "in possession of a valid firearms certificate" is open to interpretation, but I believe that "in possession" does not actually mean having your certificate on you. The same as being in possession of a current UK driving licence.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Hi bob
    hope your all well mate
    my feo told me that there's no need to have your certs with you while out shooting , however a lot of cops don't have a clue on firearms licencing laws and it only takes one keen one to confiscate your guns because he doesn't have a clue . so I keep mine in the motor when out stalking if they want to see them that badly they can accompany me to the car , but I really don't see the need seeing as they can just check you out on pnc
    atb jim
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

Nowt illegal about carrying a copy of your cert. Whether any police officer wants to take it as any sort of proof that you have a valid certificate is another matter. Of course they should be able to check over the radio what certs you have, whether you've been in trouble, are disqualified from driving, if you're insured, have an MOT, are wanted for anything and a description of you including any identifying marks such as tattoos to verify you are who you say you are.

So it does no harm to carry one and may put a suspicious police officer somewhat more at ease, but they'd be stupid to take a photocopy as proof of a valid cert. For all they know, you might have had your certificate revoked last week and still have a photocopy.

Blog Entries
    some cracking replies.

so i will let this run a tad and then tell you what the OTHER officer said when he came around to the rear of Steve's truck

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

I would imagine the first thing the police would do after stopping you would be to check on PNC so that all they needed to do was ask you your name. This would confirm that you were the registered keeper of the vehicle and that you were the holder of SGS/FAC. All they then needed to ascertain was if you were acting within the law. QED.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkfoot1 View Post
    I would imagine the first thing the police would do after stopping you would be to check on PNC so that all they needed to do was ask you your name. This would confirm that you were the registered keeper of the vehicle and that you were the holder of SGS/FAC. All they then needed to ascertain was if you were acting within the law. QED.
    1 nil to us.

bob.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkfoot1 View Post
    All they then needed to ascertain was if you were acting within the law. QED.
    Unless things have changed all they can do is ascertain if you hold a SGC/FAC. I understand that they cannot see the weapons you have listed, their serial numbers and conditions. The ONLY way to prove they are your legitimate guns is the ORIGINAL certificate. There is no requirement in law to have the certificate with you, but if you are stopped and the officer fancies (or you are an arse) they can seize your guns and make you come along to the station to collect them with your certificate.

The only issue with copying your certificate is fraud if you were attempting to pass a copy off as an original document. I make black and white copies of mine when sending in for a variation - colour looks just too good. They used to say 'FRAUD' if copied but don't seem to any more.

This is why I keep my original in the glovebox of the car.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    . There is no requirement in law to have the certificate with you.
    2 nil to us.

and i was not being a knob, i stated that i don't have it with me but can produce it if needed.

bob.

Just tame some photos of your FAC on your phone - you always have a copy with you.