Thread: Air Rifle for kids

Air Rifle for kids

Can any of you guys recommend a particular air rifle for 6-8 year old's? I was looking at Wierhauch HW30s. Anyone any experience of this air rifle for young uns? Both my kids have caught the bug from using mine (old Theoben HE) in the back garden, but it's far too big and heavy for them, even supported on the piano stool and me holding the end of the butt.

Quote Originally Posted by tjm160 View Post
    Can any of you guys recommend a particular air rifle for 6-8 year old's? I was looking at Wierhauch HW30s. Anyone any experience of this air rifle for young uns? Both my kids have caught the bug from using mine (old Theoben HE) in the back garden, but it's far too big and heavy for them, even supported on the piano stool and me holding the end of the butt.
    I do have the perfect rifle, a 12ft lb Daystate Mirage XLR standing for extra light rifle. Its a PCP, so no recoil, weighs around 4.5lbs and has a lovely walnut stock…don't particularly want to sell it but you're not that far away if you wanted to visit to heft it.

Alan

Reach to pull.

It's the one factor that always gets overlooked when considering air rifles for kids.

SMK do a couple of scaled down models that kids can wrap themselves around for not much money.

My daughter has just turned 7 and she gets on well with a Crossman Ratcatcher and I cut the stock down on an old BSA Ultra so that her reach to pull is ok. If you don't nail that you will find they can't get behind the sights properly.

I kept the stock offcut with a view of reattaching it in years to come.

She didn't enjoy trying a self contained rifle, hence the CO2 and PCP routes.

No point putting her off for the sake of tussling with a break barrel. She's the same when I take her fishing; she wants her own rod and reel and doesn't want dad casting for her. Same with the air rifle - she can easily do all steps With the Crossman or Ultra

Crosman Ratcatcher, they do not get any smaller!

Tim the co2 SMK ones can be good to get kids going very basic but light and no recoil so easy to shoot accurately.

Wont make ale you cry if you need to shorten the stock. Oh an bolt action just like dads.

Thanks gents, that's opened up options I wasn't aware of and wouldn't have considered. Most helpful and appreciated

Just purchased a Brocock contour for my 8 year old daughter. I tried just about everything out there and found this fitted her better than anything else.