Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8 month old cocker wont retrieve anything at all

8 month old cocker wont retrieve anything at all

just a little help required , ive recently got a cocker spaniel hes 8 months old , took him out himself for a bit of play time throwing a tennis ball runs in the direction of it sniffs it then wonders off sniffing elsewhere tried a dummy still the same runs the direction of it sniffs it walks away from it ? ive walked with him towards it and put the ball and dummy in his mouth and he will walk with it in his mouth ive tried this and faceing him back pedaling with open arms saying alfie good boy good boy and he comes to me with it i then tell him to sit and dead and he drops it for me , the problem is he wont pick it up i have to insert it into his mouth has anyone got any idea how to remidy this ?
    im a springer spaniel man and ive never had this problem ever , my 4 month old springer retrieves dummys no problem , any ideas p.s ive only had the cocker a couple of days so im aware i need to bond with him however i would of still thought he would want to play fetch ?

anyone ?
    LIVE AND LET LIVE! THERES ALWAYS ANOTHER DAY!

maybe someone gave him hell for picking up stuff before?? Try working with him just at arms length. "throw" whatever you have a foot or so so you can be there to encourage him to pick it up and then fuss over him. Probably won't take much once he sees that it's OK and you want him to pick stuff up.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    I wouldn't be too concerned.

Our first cocker didn't retrieve until she was over a year old. She would rarely retrieve tennis balls or dummies, but once she started on game there was never an issue.

Her son, on the other hand, will retrieve anything and everything. This last season (his first) he retrieved his first partridge and first duck. He also did a couple of pheasant retrieves that were out of the top drawer (to me, at least). Working alongside his mother doubtless encouraged him to both hunt and retrieve.

The best 'toy' we've found for encouraging retrieving is Road Kill Fox (Roadkill Fox with Squeaker). Both the cockers and the labs love them - the young cocker will often carry two or three at a time!

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by robert1666 View Post
    just a little help required , ive recently got a cocker spaniel hes 8 months old , took him out himself for a bit of play time throwing a tennis ball runs in the direction of it sniffs it then wonders off sniffing elsewhere tried a dummy still the same runs the direction of it sniffs it walks away from it ? ive walked with him towards it and put the ball and dummy in his mouth and he will walk with it in his mouth ive tried this and faceing him back pedaling with open arms saying alfie good boy good boy and he comes to me with it i then tell him to sit and dead and he drops it for me , the problem is he wont pick it up i have to insert it into his mouth has anyone got any idea how to remidy this ?
    im a springer spaniel man and ive never had this problem ever , my 4 month old springer retrieves dummys no problem , any ideas p.s ive only had the cocker a couple of days so im aware i need to bond with him however i would of still thought he would want to play fetch ?

anyone ?
    I have trained lots of cockers made up a FTCH, first thing to do is take a step back he hasn't had time to bond with you yet, over the weeks try all sorts of things that he carry in his mouth this may be a soft child's toy or and old smelly sock if this doesn't work try a cold rabbit, make a game of it tease him or drag it along the ground on a piece of string leave him chase it and grab hold of it, hope this helps.
    ajr

I'd certainly agree with the posts that have said you've not had him long enough.My first cocker took well over a week to even want to have a great deal to do with me and even longer to get her retrieving anything at all

Whilst obviously not without it's dangers, don't be afraid to borrow (or use yours if you have one) an older dog who loves retrieving. A little bit if competition can often get the most stubborn retriever going.
    But as above really, allow a little more leeway for bonding (although retrieves are probably the best way of stimulating bonding too).

+1 the young dog will want to retrieve if it has some competition, but more importantly do not rush the dog and have lots and lots of patience.

Quote Originally Posted by howy308 View Post
    +1 the young dog will want to retrieve if it has some competition, but more importantly do not rush the dog and have lots and lots of patience.
    I had a yellow lab was a very picky eater very hard to get him to eat any thing , we added a yellow lab pup after two weeks until the Day he died he eat every thing in sight, competition the dog see,s what the other dogs doing ... and dose not want to be left OUT

Find something he will pick (it could be anything, an old sock rolled over a small dummy used to be a favourite) and build his confidence with this.

Cockers are the keenest hunters so do any of your retrieving work on unscented ground to start with, keep everything a game and don't get frustrated when things go wrong, (the dog will sense your frustration) better to put the dog on the lead and try another day.

As above, patience is the key.

Good luck with your training.
    Tikka T3 .223, Browning A-Bolt .270

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by robert1666 View Post
    p.s ive only had the cocker a couple of days
    Have you lost your heart to him yet?

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!