Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UK boar shooting - help please

UK boar shooting - help please

Afternoon all. My first post on what looks like a knowlegeable and helpful forum.

I am an experienced shot and have been stalking on a number of occasions. I would like to organise a night stalking boar in the UK for myself and a good friend (also a regular game shooter) who has for a long time expressed a wish to shoot boar.

I appreciate both from this forum and others that boar shooting opportunities in the UK are hard to come by and expensive. However, if anyone here has relevant contacts I'd really appreciate the help. I did supposedly have a night lined up last October by a Lincolnshire agent but when I called him a month before hand to check details he said "sorry it's all cancelled, didnt I tell you?". Not helpful.

I'm based in London but happy to travel to anywhere in the UK. Can anyone point me in the direction of suitable agents/contacts? Please post or p/m if you are able to help.

All the best and thanks in advance

Jon H

Jon

I admire your aspiration to hunt boar in the UK. It is difficult to find opportunities and they can be expensive. However the biggest problem from personal experience is that compared to deer the success rate is very poor- maybe 20% success rate at best but there are others that have hunted with me once and bagged a lovely English boar, so I guess for boar hunting you just have to feel lucky, very lucky. There are plenty for everyone.

Gerry

Hi,
    They are mostly nocturnal creatures and usually have a large area of operation, so I would also not expect a better than 20% chance of finding them on your assigned beat.
    I sit out lots here in Bavaria and they rarely show and here is supposed to be "overrun with them".
    Best to deal for is on a no shoot = no pay basis that will keep the scallywags away.
    Regards
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Sus scrofa
    Jon

I admire your aspiration to hunt boar in the UK. It is difficult to find opportunities and they can be expensive. However the biggest problem from personal experience is that compared to deer the success rate is very poor- maybe 20% success rate at best but there are others that have hunted with me once and bagged a lovely English boar, so I guess for boar hunting you just have to feel lucky, very lucky. There are plenty for everyone.

Gerry
    Christ I must of had my lucky pants on then Gerry

Catch up soon mate

Jonathon

I have to say, when I was taking out clients for boar, my %tage was a lot better than 20%.
    If a potential client asked for my %tage rate I wouldn`t tell them, and I`d then try and decline them,as I`m not 100% keen or comfortable with %tage rate hunters or ones that harp on about the size of them, and want the biggest etc.
    I took people out,yes to earn a bit,but I used to get as much enjoyement out of someone seeing boar wild in the U.K and I was over the moon when someone shot one or two.
    As for a no shoot no fee policy, I don`t agree with that as I always put in alot of time and effort into getting someone a boar or 2 or 3,my policy was if we saw them and were safe to shoot, they could shoot as many as they wanted, and no trophy fees, just a flat rate for the night. I thought that was fair, especially if I had a job on the next day,some people shot 1 some shot 2 or 3, had one chap shot 4, greedy sod
    Also had some clients didn`t even see a boar, some saw them but couldn`t get a shot, but thats hunting.

I have to say I agree with you John; I've always thought that guarantees when it comes to shoooting - whether shots taken or numbers killed (of anything) is an odd way to value the experience.

Thanks for the adivce to date guys. But I still have no offers to take me out! Please let me know if you have a suitable contact.

J

Yep Jonathon you sure must've had your lucky pants on that night.

Big John everyone knows you are king when it comes to Boar in the UK and you are luckier than most and you did put what I was trying to say more eloquently than I.

Gerry

Gerry
    I was glad you put the smileys on after mentioning John and eloquent in the same sentence (good job he's along way away or I might be in trouble)

I would agree with the 20% success rate that's about right with us.

John,
    You forget them boar were virgins when you started, and as you well know in Herefordshire nowt stays a virgin for long

Wayne

Two pictures of boar to salivate your interest perhaps?
    Perhaps if you ask the house owner they would let you?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/gloucest...00/8456029.stm

Quote Originally Posted by jack
    Two pictures of boar to salivate your interest perhaps?
    Perhaps if you ask the house owner they would let you?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/gloucest...00/8456029.stm
    Makes a change from foxes doing over your rubbish!!