Rifle Won't Group

Toxster

Tikka M65 .308 regular barrel, unmoderated, not threaded.

Ok, I've been through pretty much everything I can think of and I am still lucky to get more than two shots in a row to group. We are talking 6 inch groups with an occasional flyer. I might get two an inch apart then one flies high left or high right (always high). Was shooting off sandbags

Was going to go to Fultons and leave it with them but the queue was too long. Will drop it off with them next week unless I have a stroke of genius.

Have checked or changed:

- Barrel free floats
- New Sportsmatch rings
- Changed scope to a Minox ZA5
- Removed a LOT of copper - 29 rounds down and no better
- Barrel deep cleaned
- Nothing rattling
- Trigger is crisp and smooth

Stumped..

Last edited:
Tikka M65 .308 regular barrel, unmoderated.

Ok, I've been through pretty much everything I can think of and I am still lucky to get more than two shots in a row to group. We are talking 6 inch groups with an occasional flyer. I might get two an inch apart then one flies high left or high right (always high). Was shooting off sandbags

Was going to go to Fultons and leave it with them but the queue was too long. Will drop it off with them next week unless I have a stroke of genius.

Have checked or changed:

- Barrel free floats
- New Sportsmatch rings
- Changed scope to a Minox ZA5
- Removed a LOT of copper - 29 rounds down and no better
- Barrel deep cleaned
- Nothing rattling
- Trigger is crisp and smooth

Stumped..
Action screws tight ?
Crap ammo ?
Bad hold ?

If your at bisley on sat, I'll have a peep if you want. I won't let you use my 308 or you'll be kicking yourself for not getting it.

Pete

Have you tried:

Different ammo?
Different shooter?
Different rings?
Crown okay?
Bore scoped?

willie_gunn

Different ammo? GGG 7.62?
Different shooter? Fine with other Tikkas
Different rings? This is the second set and they seem tight
Crown okay? Yep
Bore scoped? Nope.....which is why Fultons is the next stop

Tramp:
Action screws tight ? Yep
Crap ammo ? As above
Bad hold ? Fine with other rifles

I'm at Bisley on Sunday not Saturday unfortunately.

toxster

This will require eliminating all the variables.

So the fact you're fine with other Tikka's is still a variable worth eliminating. I have three shotguns. Two are Berettas, but I consistently shoot better with one than the other. Drop, length of pull, cast, etc all have an impact. I know we are talking rifles here, but I think it's still worth having someone else shoot the rifle IMHO.

Likewise with different sets of ammo.

You've made sure the barrel is free floating, but what about shooting off a bipod rather than the sandbags?

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

willie_gunn

Have you checked the barrel still free floats when warm? Just a thought, as it might expand enough when hot to throw things off?

The Tikka T3 barrel is free floating, but I thought the M55 and M65 were supported in a piece of steel U channel.
Some rifles, like the Enfield No. 4 and the Remington 700, are meant to have a bedding block or pressure point on the barrel to dampen vibration. If you don't set it back on that right, you can have groups off center, or scattered shots as the barrel warms.

Forgive me for this, but are you sure that when holding the fore end you ar'n't inadvertently touching the barrel with your thumb? It wouldnt be the first time.

I'm with Willie on this one, you appear to have eliminated all the variables with the rifle, let someone else have a go, I know it sounds a bit duff but rule yourself out of the equation!

Yes, you're right, time to give someone else a pop. LOP is spot on for me at 14" btw.

I cleaned it tonight and it was bit coppery again, but it came out more easily this time and I finally got it to actually throw clean patches out the end.

I did shoot it off a bipod once and it was no better unfortunately.

is it threaded, if it is try a mod, if it helps you will have some idea whats going on , harmonics? ammo? check crown again is ammo getting damaged when cycling

Last edited:
check recoil lug is seated up against stock, If you have removed barrel recently could be your problem. Had this problem with Rem 700 it would struggle to hit A4 sheet of paper after 2 rounds fired, shoots tight groups now and has kept zero for over a year no problems. Only clean bore about twice a year.

TBH - I've never had it out of the stock....so lugs and all are a mystery. Not threaded btw.

As for not cleaning it.... it's a fair point but I had to get a load of copper out as the first of the variables, and it'll be a few sessions before it settles down to its new lighter cleaning regime; so you have a point.

May pop it out of the stock.....:scared:

Managed to get a torch down the bore and the throat has nice sharp rifling.

I might get shot down for this but try not cleaning it!

My .243 wont shoot well for 20+ rounds after a good clean, similar sort of accuracy to what you mentioned, probably a 5-6 inch group at 100 yards after i got all the moly out of the barrel from a previous owner.

How long have you owned the gun ?
Is it new ?
Is it old but new to you ?
Is it one you have had for a long time and all of a sudden its started to spread out ?

Back