Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shot out 243

shot out 243

anybody any idea how many rounds it would take to shoot out a tikka 595 243 barrel whether it be home loads or a factory or if either home or factory would make a big difference

I don't know about Tikkas, but I bought a Winchester Model 70 .243 from a local indian reservation last year. He rifle was made in the early 70's and had little to no finish left above the stock line. It was scarred and scratched and by the looks of it, shot often.

I took it out with handloads and shot 1/2 inch. A different handload; about the same. I took it to South Dakota for my daughter to use hunting deer and we loaded some generic 100 grain SP bullets over H414. They shot a half inch; she stole the rifle away from me.

IN sumary: Old rifle. Many, many rounds through it. Lots of abuse to go with. Still accurate. It takes a lot to "shoot out" a barrel. Frankly, I have never seen so many judgments of a "shot out barrel " delivered as are handed out by UK gunsmiths. I think they have a racket going on! ~Muir

Many years ago, Tikka's catalogues stated that their barrels were guaranteed for 10,000 shots!
    Neglect ruins more barrels than shooting.

I'll second that! Neglect damages more barrels than quantity of rounds fired.
    Most barrel damage I see tends to be the muzzle and crown rather than throat.
    Moderators being left on all the time doesn't help.
    If you reckon a barrel is severely crudded or coppered then try KG or a bore foam or whatever the other guys on here recommend.
    Recrowning often helps an old (and sometimes new!) barrel.
    A lot comes down to the metallurgy of the barrel and how smooth and well-finished the rifling is.
    Cheers, Craig

1500rounds with purchased amuniton so my gun smith tells me may be less with home loads running hot loads gun will still shoot but dont expect clover leafe groups after 1500rounds mabey 3/4in 100yards and gets worse the further out you go but as i have onley put 30rounds thro my 243 tikka tactical have a long way to go to prove the gun dealer rong

The question is a bit like asking how long is a bit of string when you cannot see the string

If someone shoots a lot quickly and gets the barrel smoking hot it will wear faster than another person shooting the same amount of ammo over a longer time. Heat is the one that does the damage .

I have a .270 that by the looks of it was Forresty Commission rifle of a heavily used fox rifle it had no bluing left on the barrel from being held in a landie or highseat and the stock is knocked about and the sling swivel holes stripped. It cost all of 25 and I was going to restore it. Took it to the range and with some handloads it shot just over MOA. The handloads were made up for another .270 so with tailored handloads it might do better?

shoot out243

i have shot out a 243 and a 222 sako both took about 4000 rounds to shoot out and when they go they go could not hit a piece of a4 at 100 yds with either . i managed to get a replacement sako barrel for the 222 and a border stainless for the 243 . These were fitted by norman clarke who i have known for years and lives just down the road . Both will put 3 bullets through the same hole at 100 mtr with factory or home loads i had these done about ten years ago and they still both one hole groups at 100mtr not a cheap exercise but well worth it . i am now looking at building a 308 on a Fiberglas stock and fluted barrel with the same level of accuracy but with out to much weight in it any ideas you people out there who may have done it . atb muddy

ive just spoken to graham at rhino rifles on this issue as i have 800 rounds though my 243 win
    i think it depends on what you determine as suitable accuracy to a benchrest shooter this may be 1500 rounds before groups open .1 or .2
    for sub moa this will be 2000 to 3000 but this all depends on type of load speed of shooting and barrel quality
    i reckon just enjoy your fantastic tikka then when the time comes get a new barrel you will get many years of enjoyment before you see a change i bet

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I don't know about Tikkas, but I bought a Winchester Model 70 .243 from a local indian reservation last year. He rifle was made in the early 70's and had little to no finish left above the stock line. It was scarred and scratched and by the looks of it, shot often.

I took it out with handloads and shot 1/2 inch. A different handload; about the same. I took it to South Dakota for my daughter to use hunting deer and we loaded some generic 100 grain SP bullets over H414. They shot a half inch; she stole the rifle away from me.

IN sumary: Old rifle. Many, many rounds through it. Lots of abuse to go with. Still accurate. It takes a lot to "shoot out" a barrel. Frankly, I have never seen so many judgments of a "shot out barrel " delivered as are handed out by UK gunsmiths. I think they have a racket going on! ~Muir
    I rebarrelled a .308 (a T4) with a scrap target barrel from Fultons of Bisley. The barrel cost me 10. Why it was scrapped God alone knows as the rifling was sharp and clear. It was a Border Barrels cut rifling. When fitted and bedded it would shoot 1/2 MOA all day long.
    The first barrel had to go as it had become smooth bored at the EXIT end (it had been a club gun and had had umpteen 1000 RG 7,62 rounds through it)

There is no easy answer to this, it depends on so many factors.
    What I can say is I have a 27 year old Sako in .243 shoots around a 1,000 a year and still shoots to POA

Yes thats twenty seven thousand rounds give or take a couple of hundred.