Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squirrel feeders

Squirrel feeders

Put up three squirrel feeder boxes last Saturday, I can see all three from a hide
    left them alone all week.
    checked them this morning around 9am all empty not a crumb left
    so filled them up again. went there this evening about 4pm all three were half empty and shot two
    Thought I would see more will have to go earlier next time

Hi chris. What design of feeder did you use and what did you bait it with please.

Regards pete

I made them there have a platform for them to sit on with a Perspex front then they lift the lid
    i used a mixture the first time a mate gave me
    then wheat the next
    hope that helps

Don't know how it's priced compared to wheat, but that mixed bird feed with the sunflower seeds, peanuts, corn and other stuff in it should have em jumpin on a bus and coming to your place. If you're eating them,they'll prolly taste better than with just wheat also. We don't have but a few squirrels around, but they sure give the birdfeed balls hell that the old folks hang out in the woods for the songbirds....

Quote Originally Posted by chris .222 View Post
    Put up three squirrel feeder boxes last Saturday, I can see all three from a hide
    left them alone all week.
    checked them this morning around 9am all empty not a crumb left
    so filled them up again. went there this evening about 4pm all three were half empty and shot two
    Thought I would see more will have to go earlier next time
    Hi Chris,

do you think you'll shoot all the squirrels that come to your feeders? If not, isn't there a fair chance you'll do more harm than good? After all, you're presumably feeding them all week and just shooting at weekends or you would be trapping not shooting. Even so, a couple of Elgeeco traps, set only at weekends or when you're around to check them daily, will account for more squirrels than shooting alone. I mention the Elgeeco ones because your squirrels will still be fresh -if rather cross- when you get to them. If gastronomy doesn't come into it, any one of the squirrel-approved spring traps will also do the job.

ATVB

Mr.G
    Last edited by Mr. Gain; 24-03-2014 at 07:44.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

Wouldn't a fenn trap be easier?

traps need checking every day , feeders get them into an area where their safe to shoot you can have some sport and do a good job . Have a look on Squirrel Hunter channel

Squirrels feed first light or just before, on full moon nights if very light they will feed all night, dusk can be good but it's for. very short period, far to much time hunting squirrels

what do you do for a hobby Taff ?

Quote Originally Posted by trouble View Post
    traps need checking every day , feeders get them into an area where their safe to shoot you can have some sport and do a good job . Have a look on Squirrel Hunter channel
    See post #5.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay