Squirrel feeders

chris .222

Put up three squirrel feeder boxes last Saturday, I can see all three from a hide
left them alone all week.
checked them this morning around 9am all empty not a crumb left
so filled them up again. went there this evening about 4pm all three were half empty and shot two
Thought I would see more will have to go earlier next time

:D

Hi chris. What design of feeder did you use and what did you bait it with please.

Regards pete

I made them there have a platform for them to sit on with a Perspex front then they lift the lid
i used a mixture the first time a mate gave me
then wheat the next
hope that helps

Don't know how it's priced compared to wheat, but that mixed bird feed with the sunflower seeds, peanuts, corn and other stuff in it should have em jumpin on a bus and coming to your place. If you're eating them,they'll prolly taste better than with just wheat also. We don't have but a few squirrels around, but they sure give the birdfeed balls hell that the old folks hang out in the woods for the songbirds....

Put up three squirrel feeder boxes last Saturday, I can see all three from a hide
left them alone all week.
checked them this morning around 9am all empty not a crumb left
so filled them up again. went there this evening about 4pm all three were half empty and shot two
Thought I would see more will have to go earlier next time :D

Hi Chris,

do you think you'll shoot all the squirrels that come to your feeders? If not, isn't there a fair chance you'll do more harm than good? After all, you're presumably feeding them all week and just shooting at weekends or you would be trapping not shooting. Even so, a couple of Elgeeco traps, set only at weekends or when you're around to check them daily, will account for more squirrels than shooting alone. I mention the Elgeeco ones because your squirrels will still be fresh -if rather cross- when you get to them. If gastronomy doesn't come into it, any one of the squirrel-approved spring traps will also do the job.

ATVB

Mr.G

Last edited:
traps need checking every day , feeders get them into an area where their safe to shoot you can have some sport and do a good job . Have a look on Squirrel Hunter channel

Squirrels feed first light or just before, on full moon nights if very light they will feed all night, dusk can be good but it's for. very short period,:cuckoo: far to much time hunting squirrels

squirrel hunting with a 22 is great, my ambition is to hunt them on every continent, my biggest regret about planning to move to NZ is there are no squirrels, so possums will have to do, no foxes either so no digging :cry:.

I look after an area of chestnut coppice on the agreement that I keep the squirrels in check and in return I get the roe stalking the previous chap went twice a year with his shotgun and the squirrel damage was immense I keep a couple of pheasant feeders on site and twice a year bait them for a couple of weeks then fenn trap around their bases last spring I trapped 34 in just over a week and had a very happy land lord this spring I have them full again but my son plans to sit near them with his air rifle the I,ll trap the remainder.

I put a squirrel feeder up in our woodland a few weeks ago, the squirrels seem to be ignoring it. It's filled with peanuts and I put peanut butter on the platform. They didn't touch it. If I put peanuts on the platform they get taken but they don't appear to be opening it to get at all the ones inside. They can see them as it's a perspex front.

I know they're around as I have a trail camera set up and have loads of shots of the squirrels running around at the foot of the tree, just not going to the feeder it would seem. Strange.

I put a squirrel feeder up in our woodland a few weeks ago, the squirrels seem to be ignoring it. It's filled with peanuts and I put peanut butter on the platform. They didn't touch it. If I put peanuts on the platform they get taken but they don't appear to be opening it to get at all the ones inside. They can see them as it's a perspex front.

I know they're around as I have a trail camera set up and have loads of shots of the squirrels running around at the foot of the tree, just not going to the feeder it would seem. Strange.

i would try and fill the feeder right up so the lid doesn't close
thats what I done from day one and they are half emptying them in 48 hours and one is completely empty
im off there in the morning before first light to catch some out

Had three squirrels this morning between 5 am and 6.30 off the feeders but my mate missed 2 so will get them next time great fun

I would try a mix of mostly wheat with some peanuts , sun flower seed and whole maze and put a little aniseed oil or whalnut oil into it , the smell of the oil will help them find your feeders and the maze is an indicator bait (squirrels only bite the germ out of the seed) . Peanut butter goes off , and you might find songbirds are taking the nuts off your platform . Lean a small branch against the bottom of the tree , squirrels dont like sitting on the floor . As chris says , over fill your feeders until they get used to feeding from them . Im a full time squirrel controler , I run over 200 traps of all sorts , some baited some not , I poison them in season . Feeders work , they draw squirrels where you want them .

I would try a mix of mostly wheat with some peanuts , sun flower seed and whole maze and put a little aniseed oil or whalnut oil into it , the smell of the oil will help them find your feeders and the maze is an indicator bait (squirrels only bite the germ out of the seed) . Peanut butter goes off , and you might find songbirds are taking the nuts off your platform . Lean a small branch against the bottom of the tree , squirrels dont like sitting on the floor . As chris says , over fill your feeders until they get used to feeding from them . Im a full time squirrel controler , I run over 200 traps of all sorts , some baited some not , I poison them in season . Feeders work , they draw squirrels where you want them .

Thank you very much for taking the time to post such a detailed reply. I'm a novice shooter where squirrels are concerned so learning the fieldcraft is much more important to me right now. Hitting things with a rifle is relatively easy, figuring out how to get the quarry where i want it is harder :)

Back