Am I being taken for a ride?

Any gunsmiths / RFD's on here that can give us a definitive answer on the legal side of the firearm's location and registered owner ?

I will not attempt to answer this question as I am not an RFD.
However I am not aware of any liability upon the part of the OP in these circumstances. Now that he has become concerned about the true whereabouts of his firearm, he would be wise to raise it with the licensing authority.

Any gunsmiths / RFD's on here that can give us a definitive answer on the legal side of the firearm's location and registered owner ?

Also not a gunsmith or a RFD but I would say that the firearm has merely been lodged with the gunsmith for repair with no transfer of ownership. Once again it shows the importance of a booking in docket which should contain terms and conditions of the contract that has been entered into. This would be for the benefit of both parties.

Tell the chap you wish to see the rifle, or request the booking in ref number to the proof house, if he shows you it done or not just walk out with it tip him bolx as he is taking the pee 5 months thats more time than it takes to build a rolls royce , let alone a stock part with fitting if that is what you wished him to do !!! ,i would't pay him even if the work has been done ! you should be giving him a bill for loss of use, a complete rifle can be put together in a day if all the parts are to hand 4 weeks if bedding etc at the max inc proof while done you wait, even proof if you don't wish to sell it do's have to be done, so even less time.

Right here it goes, sent my rifle of to a gun smith to have a new bolt fitted, was told the job would take around 3 weeks, ( emails to prove) they received the rifle on the 10th oct, after many calls toward the end of last year to see the progress I was told on the 11th jan that the rifle was at the proof house and they were expecting it back in 5-10 days, another call to them end of jan was told the rifle still at the proof house,
I made a call to the proof house to see how long it takes to have a rifle proof, was told by a women the longest it takes is 10 days, so I ask if she,s had my rifle through the doors, this she couldn't tell me as I'm not the customer,
I've made more several more calls to the place that did the work, always being told the same thing, another call to the gun smith this morning, and guess what, rifle still at the proof house and they were going to chase it up?

5 months later, still no rifle
am I being taken for a ride? Or is it just me getting wound up over nothing? :-|

Personally I cant believe you have been as patient as you have. I would have been patient all the way up to the point that I thought I was being lied to and that would have been a while back.

I got my licencing manager involved after 9 months of proof house stories. Turns out it was behind RFD storeroom door all that time. Pathalogical liar. Very sad.

wow your either patient as hell or a fool,(not meant to offend) i would have lost the plot a long time ago.i hate when people lie to gain business and dont give the poor customere a second thought.name and shame and demand it back or a sit in protest telling every customer who comes through the door.
wake up dude and good luck

A few years ago I gave a local RFd a pair of side by side barrels to have re blued,he sent them away and were promptly lost by the courier .he was very blazay ( spelling?) about it all and said I'd have to claim off my home insurance so I rang basc who said it was a civil matter and weren't interested,after a bit of digging I found that the courier had left them in a tube on his door step and some scumbag had nicked em,so I rang the law who had no knowledge of the theft,can you imagine if someone had run in a post office with them sticking out his coat ? So after speaking to the RFd who was quite put out that I'd informed the law I was running out of options,this is over 6 months by the way.so I decided to tell the RFd I'd spoken to basc and there going to take on my case if I didn't get a result at which point I was offered the choise of a rifle from his stock,one heym sr20 later I was calmed down some what but I can relate exactly to what ur going through,I now have no contact with RFd and have only recently been coaxed back to joining basc through friends more than anything else,you live and learn eh

Spoke to them again this afternoon, apparently it's finish in the proof house, it's just waiting to be collected by them, see how long this takes.

Good luck. I'd Name and shame to save other people the same hassle. To many rouge traders out there hiding behind lies. Hope all goes well for you and you get it back soon.

Spoke to them again this afternoon, apparently it's finish in the proof house, it's just waiting to be collected by them, see how long this takes.

Name and shame the gun smith now before any body else has the same problem

Lets hope they have done a good job and you have no further problems when it eventually does arrive back !

Name and shame them on here mate

if he originally told you three weeks and gave you a price ??? He must have spoke to someone at the time about the bolt and would normally have asked about price and timeframe before you have him the gun

start thread with DO NOT TOUCH blah blah

Or threaten him with this to post here and other shooting forums
good luck

dont speak to them again , go into the dealer on friday and ask for your gun back if its at the proof house tell the dealer to phone them so you can speak to the proof house . OR ,march in and play fk until they fetch your gun out of the store room . Theyve had long enough get it back

As far as I am aware ALL ammunition used by London Proof House is now sourced from the Birmingham Proof House. So it may be that they have none of your particular calibre in stock and have not ordered any if an "odd" calibre.

I know that it took a number of months for London to obtain any 7.62mm Russian Nagant revolver ammunition for proof of revolvers in that calibre. So it may not be the fault of the gunsmith.

But if the rifle is in say .308 Winchester calibre then no I can't understand the delay either.

Back