Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stalkers Competence Certificate

Stalkers Competence Certificate

Hi, can anybody tell me how a British Deer Society Stalkers Competence certificate equates to the DSC1.
    thanks in advance

From what I gather, the Stalkers Competence pre-dates the DSC certificates? The DSC1 is not a qualification for Deer Stalking competence. Put simply, it is classroom work with some simulated scenarios and and a shooting test to finish off with. The DSC2 is the opportunity to prove you have put all of the classroom work into practice and have gained the necessary experience to do it.

Miss Seymour at BDS confirmed to me only today that my WSCC from 1984 is useless as it should have been converted to the - commercially available- DSC 1 by 2003 !

(I understand the wisdom in providing training for keen amateurs, but it does seem to have become something of a money spinner & I am not convinced that there is any evidence that the deer are any better off for it).

There is no substitute for practice which makes perfect, but it has become a chicken & egg situation for those wishing to acquire it.

Hi
    thanks for that. I don't think another certificate will make me any better but a bit I guess a bit of a refresher is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer4u0 View Post
    Hi, can anybody tell me how a British Deer Society Stalkers Competence certificate equates to the DSC1.
    thanks in advance
    The BDS Woodland Stalker's Certificate of Competence (WSCC) and it's successor the National Stalker's Certificate of Competence (NSCC), were the forerunners of the current DSC1, and with almost identical course and examination content, (minus the Trained Hunter elements). The changeover was initiated when a more extensive scheme was being proposed - which became the current DSC1 & DSC2 - which IIRC was around 1996 before the formation of the DI.

As Scipio Africanus has stated, it was possible for holders of either version to transfer to the DSC1 prior to the cut-off date. Thereafter you must sit the exam and take the tests again at the cost of an assessment.

The Trained Hunter element and being able to quote a number when selling into the food chain might make sitting it again worthwhile.

Skill fade also makes it worthwhile sitting it again. Practice only makes perfect if you are consistently putting into practice every part of the manual regularly enough to stay current. This is one part of being a witness for the DSC2 that I like as it means I have to revisit parts of the manual that I would otherwise not be thinking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
    Miss Seymour at BDS confirmed to me only today that my WSCC from 1984 is useless as it should have been converted to the - commercially available- DSC 1 by 2003 !

(I understand the wisdom in providing training for keen amateurs, but it does seem to have become something of a money spinner & I am not convinced that there is any evidence that the deer are any better off for it).

There is no substitute for practice which makes perfect, but it has become a chicken & egg situation for those wishing to acquire it.
    ...and what about keen professionals? Regards JCS

Quote Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post

hi ,i agree with you as you say the DSC1 is a money maker for all the clubs i have not done it.And before anybody rants & raves i have shot lots of deer all clean kills.ATB Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by nala123 View Post
    i have shot lots of deer all clean kills.ATB Adrian
    Well done, you. If you continue to shoot "lots of deer" I would bet serious money that, at some stage, you will cock it up - just like the rest of us mere mortals. It's worth pointing out (again!) that, money-making aside, the DSC1 training and assessment is also good way to acquire some baseline knowledge about deer and their management with firearms. For the avoidance of doubt, this post is not considered by me as a "rant and rave".