Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xbolt

Xbolt

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone on here could give me an opinion on the new xbolt that's out? (I'm looking for a .270 and I was going to go for a T3 stainless but I'm a bit hesitant to do so as I've heard quite a few negative reports on them )

Any help is very much appreciated!

Sorry I cannot help on the X-Bolt and don't have a Tilla but I would be interested in hearing what the negatives are?

Although I don't personally like the T3's and have shot a few I cannot say I have heard any real negatives about them. A friend has a T3 Tactical in .308 and a T3 Lite both in .308. He was talking about swopping the T3 lite for a Sako 85 but that was because he wanted a .300 magnum as he thinks it will be better for Boar shooting.

I must admit though if I was looking for a New rifle I would be looking at the Titan quite seriously it would depend on how it feels but they seem to shoot well.

Re: Xbolt

Quote Originally Posted by CZ452
    Hi, I was just wondering if anyone on here could give me an opinion on the new xbolt that's out? (I'm looking for a .270 and I was going to go for a T3 stainless but I'm a bit hesitant to do so as I've heard quite a few negative reports on them )

Any help is very much appreciated!
    whats the negatives you hear about them??? as i was looking into getting one in .30 06, so looking for info aswell,

Andrew

x bolt

Hi CZ,ive just part x my cz .243,.223 for x bolts im very pleased with them they are very comfortable to handle & although still experimenting with ammo very accurate Im picking up a 30-06 x bolt & 22lr t bolt this Thursday ,I personally give them the thumbs up & there reasonaly priced ,good luck with your choice ATB

Andy

Both rifles are well made, the X-Bolt is made by Miroku (you never hear a bad thing about their shotguns).

The differences are in the details the X-bolt is a bit more sophisticated compared to the Tikka KISS approach. The X bolt uses a 3 lug locking bolt, to give a short lift bolt as per the old Sako 75 while the Tikka uses a 2 lug locking bolt.
    The Tikka uses a straight stack magazine while the Browning uses a rotary magazine not unlike the famous 1903 Mannlicher-Schoenauer, but it is a shame that both mag’s are made of plastic. The X-Bolt safety is on the tang like a shotgun while the T3 is next to the bolt like a Remm’y 700.

For me the added sophistication of the X-Bolt would win me over, if you prefer to keep it simple then the Tikka might look attractive although the Howa is another very good rifle in this class.

If you can, handle all the rifles in the shop (ignore the sales man as he will try to push you into buying the one that suits him most ££££ ), see which one you like the feel of most and then make your desiccation. any of them is more than capable of harvesting deer for many years.

ATB

Tahr

Thank you very much Tahr for the input! It's greatly appreciated!

With regard to the tikkas I've just heard that they are made pretty cheap,(although they aren't cheap to buy) and are not as good as the older models ect! If you search around there's plenty of topics on them That said, I've also heard the barrels are made in the sako factory so they can't be that bad...I just think there are better guns for a similar price 8)

Quote Originally Posted by CZ452
    With regard to the tikkas I've just heard that they are made pretty cheap,(although they aren't cheap to buy) and are not as good as the older models ect! )
    I owned one of the old 595s, and you are right they were a better rifle than the new T3, too good for there own good it might be said, once Sako brought the Tikka company they were a bit too near the Sako market sector.

ATB

Tahr

I have owned three Browning A bolts and, a few niggles aside, liked them – but not enough to still have them.

Currently have a second hand Sako 75 and looks like it’s a rifle I will be keeping. Previously had a Tikka 595 and only parted with it as needed to go with other owner – it was on joint tickets and a shared rifle.

The worse thing about the T 595 was that it does shade your perceptions of the T3 range. They are simply not built the same way – don’t mean that in a particularly derogatory way, just as fact.

On the courses I see hundreds of rifles each year. Other than rifles bodged by owners ( WD40 is not a good bedding compound ), the T3s all perform pretty well.

I had looked at the X bolt with interest, but not seen one to handle properly in the flesh until the last course – which had two candidates with them. One 243 the other 270.

The 243 had all kinds of problems, which from limited inspection seemed to centre ( no pun intended ) on the barrel. On taking off the moderator it was clear to the naked eye that the bore was not concentric with the barrel. More worryingly for a factory threaded rifle, the threading was off and the crown pretty poor – all possibly stemming from the bore issue. It shouldn’t have got out the factory and the dealer concerned should have spotted it – it really was that obvious.

That aside, the 270 shot ok. But I couldn’t shake a feeling of disappointment – akin to the Tikka 595/ T3 mindset above. My Browning Medallion and Euro’s where really well put together. Whilst there were design niggles, the engineering was solid. The X bolt just seemed to exude a feeling that it was designed by engineers briefed to production criteria – rather than shooters. It just could have been better. As I say, that should be read as highly subjective given my mindset.

Got to say that from experience Browning UK support is pretty poor. Then too I cant be the only one that laments the day GMK took over from JLS in terms of supporting Tikka.

Oakleaf, thank you very much for the reply I have to say that im disappointed to hear that you were so unimpressed with them! I may have to look at other options..

I can't say I know much about the howa rifles? I've heard that they are "so so"? It seems that for any 'mid value' rifle there's always 1 negative to 3 positives

On a different note, does anyone know of any sako 75's/older tikka models going new in .270? It's a long shot I know 8)

ATB CZ452

try colchestershootingcenter.co.uk they have a695 master in 270 at a very tempting price