Noisy Bolt

375 mag

Any gunsmiths out there !

I have just had my rifle shortened and a new mod fitted, however when i now close the bolt there is a very tinny - pinging noise as you close the bolt down its just as the bolt engages on the second click of the bolt if that makes sense.
Its a while since i fired it so not sure if it did it before or whether its just got worse or just started so any ideas as to the problem action screws and mount screws all ok oh and its a Remington action

I was thinking it could be the bolt but i don't know how to take it to pieces to check everything

Any chance the front action screw has been over tightened and is now in contact with the locking lug when you close the bolt?

SS

I was thinking it could be the bolt but i don't know how to take it to pieces to check everything

You can easily strip the 700 bolt , do a YouTube search , you can do it with a shoelace/piece of para cord if you have to.

Did you change out the trigger to something with less play in it, like a Timney or Canjar?

Lube the cocking cam?

It sounds like the firing pin spring binding inside the bolt, then turning go. If you go to disassemble the M700 bolt is is not as easy as a Winchester Model 70. A tool like this one, for $35.00, will make it so simple.

REMINGTON BOLT DISASSEMBLY TOOL | Brownells

Is it a T8 mod on your rifle ? They make a very tinny noise when you work the bolt especially if you don't have a cover on the mod. The Remy bolts are easy to strip, like tackb says do a youtube search

Al

Stripped the bolt last night did a full clean down and re oiled and greased it still no difference, checked stock screws all ok not to long, checked scope mount screws their not to long, new mod is an A Tec all ok shoots ok groups ok if anything cleaning the bolt did make it quieter but the noise is still there !

I've not had the trigger out its a standard Remington trigger could something in the trigger not be lining up right with the bolt ?

The Remington ( Walker design ) trigger has a bit looser fit than a Timney or Canjar. They would be the ones more likely to bind, if there was a burr on the bolt ( like from being dropped while out of the rifle). I suppose the J-lock action could have a point of binding. I never owned one.

Does it ping as you turn the bolt handle up, on cocking? If so, that would indicate a binding spring. If it pings on the closing of the bolt, and you can feel some resistance build and let go as it does, then it sounds like the trigger binding just a wee bit. Can't hurt to take the handle and cocking piece out, as in that video, clean and lube it.

I have an Enfield No. 4 that shoots wonderfully. One day, I pulled the trigger, and no fire. Again. Again. Oh, my, I thought, "broken firing pin." I removed the head from the bolt, and there was a sliver of brass from the crimping of the primer on a previous round, which had sheared off, gone down the firing pin hole, and been jammed there by the next strike.

It only makes a noise as you close the bolt down, ive stripped the bolt and re greased it ! If i take the trigger out im not sure i would want to take that apart !

You don't feel a building resistance as you close the bolt, then a let go?
Locking lug recesses all cleaned out?
Locking lugs greased?
Locking cam on the bold it greased?
Does it make the sound with the moderator removed, as someone asked?
You checked the action screws for interference and scratching the lugs.

So what is left? The extractor, jumping over the rim of the cartridge.
Does it make the sound without a cartridge?
Is the sound louder on an empty fired case?

Locking lugs cleaned, greased, locking cam greased.
makes the noise with or without mod, in the stock or out, action screws not sticking out,makes the noise with and without a cartridge.
If anything its like you say as you close the bolt handle down you feel resistance then the noise then nothing it only makes the noise closing the bolt not opening it !!

Cheers for all the help looks like ill just have to put up with it !

No noise when you hold the trigger down the bolt cycles perfectly so whats causing the noise ?
And how do i get rid of it ?

Back