Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PES T12

PES T12

Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I have made a search of earlier posts, but can't come up with a definitive answer.

Just how strippable is the T12?

I have recently acquired a s/s model and still have the option of returning it if I'm not happy (it's pre-owned).

I'm loath to give it the nod before I'm entirely happy, and had been led to believe that they are strippable for cleaning. I did initially think that it was a case of unscrewing the outer case from the inner and that the knurled section at the base of the mod was for this purpose.

Several attempts later, notings moving. What am I doing wrong or has the mod 'seized' in some way?

Cheers Novice

Lots of WD40 and try again tomorrow. They are strippable.

And if WD40 dosen't work put the mod on th radiator for a bit to heat up the outer section, rubber bands on the bottom and twist.

Ive still not got my scout stripped yet!! But dont try what I did and place it in boiling water!!! It took days to displace it!!

cheers
    nutty

Cheers for the replies folks. I managed to get it open last night.

Sorry to hear your still having trouble with yours Nuttyspaniel. At the risk of sounding like an overnight expert, perhaps you could try the following:

-leave the mod knurled end down standing in wd40 overnight
    - place the mod in a padded vice and give it a damn good twist (if like me you have a broken thumb, get your glamarous assistant to do the rough stuff )
    - if this doesn't do the job, try applying some heat from something like a blow torch around the outside of the mod to expand the outer case and hopefully unstick the thread (I must admit I didn't have to go to this extreme, but I received the same advice from several sources, so I'm inclined to believe it will work).

Good luck

Novice

The T12 I have isn't stirppable - it's a sealed unit but it's stainless so doesn't matter as won't corode like a lot of mods... best not to clean them if you want them to get quiet, just stick them somewhere warm and dry when you've finished using them.

A bit of WD40 when you first get them isn't a bad idea though be sure to keep it away from your barrel or you run the risk of micro-blowing your rifling!

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyDoom View Post
    The T12 I have isn't stirppable - it's a sealed unit but it's stainless so doesn't matter as won't corode like a lot of mods... best not to clean them if you want them to get quiet, just stick them somewhere warm and dry when you've finished using them.

A bit of WD40 when you first get them isn't a bad idea though be sure to keep it away from your barrel or you run the risk of micro-blowing your rifling!
    Wrong and right.
    new ones don't strip, older ones do.

Neil.

Feck stripping a PES/MAE sounds like work to me.

only if you havent stripped it from the beginning.

For those that don't here is a reason you should.

My PES internal tube after only 10 shots of N160 fuelled .243
    don't sniff this stuff unless you want to cauterise your nose.
    The stench of ammonia and I am guessing from my chemistry days some proportion of Nitric or possibly Sulphuric acid is enough the make your eyes water.
    those droplets are liquid not hard deposits, they have condensed on the surface as it cooled down, despite me removing the mod when hot and blowing the bulk of the gas out.
    Leave this **** on your barrel at your peril.
    I tested this with a fish tank pH testing kit and it hit pH2.5-3. A strong acid.
    Its no wonder it eats barrels over time

this is removed with KG1 carbon remover (or whatever the carbon remover number is to look like this:
    this is what it looked like before the 10 shots as well

I then lightly oil the surface to make it easier to remove the next time.
    On to the external tube, no point cleaning the outside of the inner one without addressing the inside of the outer one....

Kitchen roll tube folded in on itself with KG soaked sheet.
    expands into the inside diameter and soaks up most of the crap, can be changed and repeated.
    squeaky clean.

another light oiling, I use oil rather than WD40 as it stays around longer and being stainless I am less concerned about rust and its water repellent properties.
    I remove the rear guide and clean the threads on all removeable parts with a lightly soaked oily toothbrush.
    crunchy rotations when screwing back together means you havent cleaned it enough!

my PES silencer cost more than my two CF rifles put together.
    I spent 30 mins cleaning the 243 after yesterdays excursion, why wouldnt you clean you moderator with the same attention to detail?
    you will extend the life of the moderator and your barrel.
    I also store my moderator on the barrel of one or other of the rifles I use it on. have done for the 5 years I have owned it. but when it is this clean it matters not
    Last edited by bewsher500; 21-12-2011 at 12:51.