Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it time a shooting law test was a requirement to hold a FAC?

Is it time a shooting law test was a requirement to hold a FAC?

Every day there seems to be a thread on here questioning the 'law' regarding issues that (in my opinion) should be at the forefront of our minds as shooters. If we are going out there with guns we should KNOW whether we need to have our certificate with us, we should KNOW if we can shoot next to a road etc.

How about if a bank of ~100 questions were prepared and published - like the DSC book but very much shorter. New shooters would get asked a selection of 10, renewals asked 5 questions from the bank. Questions only relevant to your area of shooting - if you only hold a rimfire there is no need to know if you can shoot a Fallow buck on a Tuesday in December wearing ladies underwear.....

I do think there would be real merit in shooters keeping more abreast of shooting law. If you don't know what you are legally allowed to do, how are you supposed to know if what you are doing is illegal.

I expect these would be the sorts of questions most of us would already know the answer to.

I appreciate this is a little but I believe my question is valid!

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    I think you are about to get shot down in flames (excuse the pun).
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    I think you are about to get shot down in flames (excuse the pun).
    I know. I didn't make it clear in my post but I would suggest the bank was produced by ACPO and published online with the Firearms Guidance Document - so freely available to all. The questions would be asked by the FEO so no cost to individual with the idea.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

I think that in many places there is a de facto test in place as, if you seek a FAC and put deer stalking as the reason, a DSC 1 is treated as a minimum requirement. Am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by goathunter1 View Post
    I think that in many places there is a de facto test in place as, if you seek a FAC and put deer stalking as the reason, a DSC 1 is treated as a minimum requirement. Am I wrong?
    Not necessarily. Two friends of mine have both just been granted a . 308 and neither has any experience of deer and one has no experience of c/f rifles at all!

And then you could have the F.E.O.'s little trick question,... couldn't you!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

And a wee practical? surely?

Something like:
    1 Fit for purpose assessment of assembled firearm and sighting system.
    2. Ability to differentiate ammunition type and calibre.
    3. Correct & safe manipulation of bolt.
    4. 100 yard off-hand 10-shot shooting test at a 6" circle. 60% minimum pass mark.

K
    Last edited by Klenchblaize; 25-03-2014 at 06:50.

5. 450y prone shot at a fallow buck, you must select a suitable cull animal from a herd of >20 and explain your reason for selection. You must not shoot the big one.

Quote Originally Posted by Offroad Gary View Post
    5. 450y prone shot at a fallow buck, you must select a suitable cull animal from a herd of >20 and explain your reason for selection. You must not shoot the big one.
    always shoot the biggest one , more room for error
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

always shoot the biggest one , more room for error
    All joking aside, I'd shoot a medium sized one, that I would be able to carry out!

This isn't too bad an idea, and similar things already happen in other countries - New Zealand for example, although there, you have to attend a short course prior to being tested, which on passing, allows you to hold a firearms licence.

I have made it a point to know the pertinent sections of HO Firearms Guidelines, ever since I found out that they actually existed, and on at least one occasion, having a good knowledge of them, has saved me from being arrested by an 'enthusiastic' young police officer, whilst his older colleague looked on, with a smirk on his face!
    Whether a 'simple' test could be put into place, and correctly administered is something different though. When I had my first interview, the only thing they were bothered about, was safety, and whether I knew about backstops. I actually felt a bit cheated, as I had spent weeks reading and learning the HO Guidelines, as well as learning about rifle ballistics!
    On the other hand, one could ask, should the staff in the licensing office be expected to learn, AND understand firearms law, and should they be tested on it annually (if they are not already)?
    I keep a pdf of the guidelines on my laptop, and on my phone, 'just in case' I feel the need to check something.