Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Gran Canaria = Montana Elk hunt

  1. #1

    Gran Canaria = Montana Elk hunt

    That worked well, just got back from a very hot Gran Canaria, had to be done, part of my deal with the wife, take her on hols to somewhere hot for a week of R&R and i get to go back to Montana later this year to try again for an Elk.

    It actually wasn't too bad, but my ears pricked up when i heard there was archery and rifle shooting as an activity!
    I dropped by for the archery, 15 yard target, and won the competition, i was informed the unhappy German couple had not been unbeaten in 3 months, yes 3 months staying in the same hotel!
    Next day rifle shooting, as expected it was with .177 air rifles, same result, i creamed it, unhappy German!
    So i thought i would get the wife involved, the only other female was the Germans wife, a quick bit of tuition and i couldn't believe it, my wife beat her, the German threw her scorecard in the bin in disgust, mumbled something and stormed off, are all Germans poor sports?
    I did feel a little sorry for the guy as when he was about to take a shot a very lively Italian 'coughed' on purpose which all added to the fun.
    And why do they reserve sun beds with towels at dawn when there are plenty to go around?
    An eye opener for me!

    Now the planning starts, what part of Montana to hunt? I have my eye on area near the Idaho border so i can nip across and try for a Steelhead as that is also on my fishing bucket list.

    Can't wait!

    Cheers

    Richard

  2. #2
    yes germans are piss poor losers ,especially to us brits .having lived in 3 different german towns during my time in the green job.they like a drink n a joke as we do but we are not allowed to beat them or u vill be shot tommy.games nights against german police n workshop mechanics created much bad blood if/when they lost at any game.so well done keep up the good work

  3. #3
    Regular Poster KBar1970's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Suffolk [North; where the pines and pigs are]
    Posts
    344
    Good man DDS!! Wins all round; keeping the British End Up as well as ensuring your 'pink chit' to go to MT for a crack at the Wapiti.

    Which season and which GMU you are planning on hunting will take some working out, as will the application process (Preference Points etc) I take it that rifle will your preferred 'method of take'? ;-)

    I strongly recommoned you visit the Extreme Elk forum www.elk101.com An excellent source of information for both rifle- and b*w-hunters
    Last edited by KBar1970; 25-03-2014 at 08:59.

  4. #4
    You should have hummed the Dambusters tune !

  5. #5
    but remember....leave the drone at home (ok, it's Alaska, but you get the idea!)
    Alaska bans hunting with drones after moose shooting - Telegraph

  6. #6
    Are you planning on a guided elk hunt or DIY? Where in Montana?

    The application period for Elk Combination General and Permits passed on March 15. Elk B drawing still available.

    If the drawing is like the last 2 years then there will be left-over licenses to purchase.

    **Edit: forgot that you are a non-resident so removed OTC
    Last edited by yagovomaltmoor; 25-03-2014 at 14:03.

  7. #7
    Hi Rich
    If you want me to ask my mate who lives in Idaho Falls on tips where to hunt/fish, just give me a shout.
    Been thinking about a summer Pronghorn trip for myself in the next few years.
    ATB
    R

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by KBar1970 View Post
    I strongly recommoned you visit the Extreme Elk forum www.elk101.com An excellent source of information for both rifle- and b*w-hunters
    Thanks, already bookmarked that site.

    Quote Originally Posted by deerpath View Post
    You should have hummed the Dambusters tune !
    I did think of doing Basil Fawlty sketch but thought better of it!

    Quote Originally Posted by yagovomaltmoor View Post
    Are you planning on a guided elk hunt or DIY? Where in Montana?

    The application period for Elk Combination General and Permits passed on March 15. Elk B drawing still available.

    If the drawing is like the last 2 years then there will be left-over licenses to purchase.
    Applied on the 14th March for deer/elk NR big game combo, taking my rifle over.

    Quote Originally Posted by fairacre View Post
    Hi Rich
    If you want me to ask my mate who lives in Idaho Falls on tips where to hunt/fish, just give me a shout.
    Been thinking about a summer Pronghorn trip for myself in the next few years.
    ATB
    R
    You have a pm.

    Cheers

    Richard

  9. #9
    Regular Poster KBar1970's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Suffolk [North; where the pines and pigs are]
    Posts
    344
    Do you have a GMU/GMUs in mind? The further you can get from the madding crowds (especially during rifle season) the more likely your chances; so far I have gleaned the following pointers:
    1) Ring biologists and US Forest Service staff for the Unit/Units you are looking on hunting and ask questions about elk numbers, distribution, etc
    2) Use Google Earth to establish;
    Areas at least 1.5 miles from the nearest tarred road
    North facing slopes (perfect for elk bedding during the warmest part of the day)
    Water and food sources close to said north-facing slope
    3) Get in shape. REALLY good shape
    Best of luck and good hunting!!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by KBar1970 View Post
    Do you have a GMU/GMUs in mind? The further you can get from the madding crowds (especially during rifle season) the more likely your chances; so far I have gleaned the following pointers:
    1) Ring biologists and US Forest Service staff for the Unit/Units you are looking on hunting and ask questions about elk numbers, distribution, etc
    2) Use Google Earth to establish;
    Areas at least 1.5 miles from the nearest tarred road
    North facing slopes (perfect for elk bedding during the warmest part of the day)
    Water and food sources close to said north-facing slope
    3) Get in shape. REALLY good shape
    Best of luck and good hunting!!
    Yep you are spot on with that advice, which is what i did when i tried in 2012, better luck this time i hope.
    Cheers
    Richard

Similar Threads

  1. Montana Elk
    By devon deer stalker in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 05-11-2014, 12:49
  2. Montana hunting and fishing vids with Montana-Wild
    By devon deer stalker in forum Videos
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 20-03-2013, 10:44
  3. Photos from Canada 2008 Elk/Mule deer Hunt.
    By TOP_PREDATOR in forum Big Game Hunting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-02-2012, 05:38
  4. Elk Hunt
    By The Croc in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 25-07-2010, 16:53

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •