Thread: Wood with fungus

Wood with fungus

I took some green beech to a local sawmill. They didnt get around to cutting it for over a year and just left it outside. When I picked it up it has fungus on the end grain and various black marks though out the length of it. It does look attractive and I wish to make it into a bed. The question is will this fungus spread to other timber in the house. Is there a way of treating the beech to kill the fungus off

Hi Rem 284 the black marks on beach in known as spalting, before making your bed make sure the wood is nice and dry, air dried around 14 to 18%. as a general rule one inch of thickness takes about a year to air dry. once it is dry you will have no problems with fungus, hope this helps.

+1 Geoffrey is on the money

Quote Originally Posted by geoffrey View Post
    Hi Rem 284 the black marks on beach in known as spalting, before making your bed make sure the wood is nice and dry, air dried around 14 to 18%. as a general rule one inch of thickness takes about a year to air dry. once it is dry you will have no problems with fungus, hope this helps.

Sounds painful

Sorry I couldn't help myself.

geoffrey, thanks very much. I thought that was the name of it and it was just the kind of answer I wanted.

Not sure if you are a old hand or not, but just in case you're new to wood working make sure you put the planks in stick not just a stack or the fungus will continue to grow.

Yeh I have them stacked with spacers in between