Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gunsmiths bona fides in the UK

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available

Gunsmiths bona fides in the UK

G`day members,

I was thinking about the term gunsmith and it seems that any bloke in Australia that is a tinkerer and can use a lathe can set himself up with a few tools and hang a "gunsmith" shingle out the front as there is no need to do any course/apprenticeship here.

To be a gunsmith in the UK is there a need to do a proper course in `smithing to be a gunsmith,is there a need to be registered etc

I have used a few blokes here and some are just lathe men with a gun interest without ever having to do an apprenticeship etc.(in gunsmithing)

I do go to a bloke that learned his trade as an armourer with the Aus army,he knows his stuff too.
    "you nae be needing these no more"
    I said as I slipped the knife through the cord

সাম্বার হরিণ

Pretty much the same here John. There are few gunsmiths, people tend to confuse the term with that of a RFD (registered firearms dealer).
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Gaining a Registered Firearms Dealers ticket here in the UK entitles the holder to manufacture firearms and ammunition regardless of if he has the ability or skill to do so.
    Like 8x57 says there are very few true "Gunsmiths" or even "Riflesmiths" for that matter.

Ian.

To be totally fair some of the best "riflesmiths" in the country are really first rate machinists and produce very good products but they never served their time as gunsmiths.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    To be totally fair some of the best "riflesmiths" in the country are really first rate machinists and produce very good products but they never served their time as gunsmiths.
    Fair point, but most are not even first rate machinists, they have been shown how to fit a barrel, bed a stock etc but thats as far as their skill level goes.

Ian

Sorting the Wheat from the Chaff starts on here, with the old adage, You are only as good as your last job., I think I know at least one top notch fella.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

What about Gun Plumbers?

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    Gaining a Registered Firearms Dealers ticket here in the UK entitles the holder to manufacture firearms and ammunition regardless of if he has the ability or skill to do so.
    Like 8x57 says there are very few true "Gunsmiths" or even "Riflesmiths" for that matter.

Ian.
    Too true I'm an RFD but use a good friend who is a top class gunsmith (and RFD) to do any work necessary on the guns I sell. He would have my guts if I went anywhere near a gun with a turnscrew or file (and I don't blame him - I'm useless).
    Historic Guns & Militaria - based in South Bedfordshire - Historic Guns Militaria

Quote Originally Posted by Jager SA View Post
    What about Gun Plumbers?
    In a different category altogether

Ian.

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    Fair point, but most are not even first rate machinists, they have been shown how to fit a barrel, bed a stock etc but thats as far as their skill level goes.

Ian
    Alas its the same in both places.
    "you nae be needing these no more"
    I said as I slipped the knife through the cord

সাম্বার হরিণ