Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: weathering fenns

weathering fenns

Anyone got any good tips to weather fenn traps quickly

Cheers?

I used to do my fox wires in chips of oak bark with boiling water poured over it. The tannin stains them brown.

Just bury them for a week. Perfect to use then.

I do all mine in a 50 gallon drum filled with a Potassium manganate solution, just throw all the traps in the drum and leave for a week, ideally a fortnight, then wash the solution off with water and they're ready to go. The PM does not seem to leave any negative scent on the traps as my catch rate from newly dipped traps is equally as high and old ones.

The PM brings the traps out in a brilliant mottled effect as it oxidises the metal so they blend in very well, even on rail traps.

I bury them for a week too
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

Any of the above will work,used to just leave them outside to weather naturally,depends what you are intending using them for, if stoats and weasels never found that they needed weathering,seemed to get much the same results.

I boil mine with some bicarb, about half an hour then pour the water off as all the oil and scum is on the top. Takes all the grease and crap off and leaves them a flat grey sort of colour. I do the same with fenns, BG's and mole traps alike.

Maybe Im missing a trick, but the best way Ive found to weather traps is get them out and working, set 12 new duffus mole traps had 8 moles next day. Makes no odds as far as Ive ever been able to tell...except for rats but thats a neophobia problem (fear of new objects in the enviroment) rather than a weathering thing

Edit to say

Im a pest controller and I set a lot of traps of all kinds
    Last edited by Dakaras; 26-03-2014 at 21:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakaras View Post
    Maybe Im missing a trick, but the best way Ive found to weather traps is get them out and working, set 12 new duffus mole traps had 8 moles next day. Makes no odds as far as Iveever been able to tell...except for rats but thats a neophobia problem 9fear of new objects in the enviroment) rather than a weathering thing
    + 1
    norma

I boil mine with oak leaves,then hangem out to dry .they go a tarnished black colour and work well
    only when the last tree has been felled,the last fish caught and the last river poisoned will man realise he cant eat money