Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hard lumps in fallow

hard lumps in fallow

Hi all,

I had a call from a farmer this morning. He had shot a fallow yesterday, doe carrying. On opening up he found hard lumps all over the inners.

Not just the lung worm scars the he is seeing more and more but this time hard lumps

These are the only photos I have, and I need to be quick else he I'll be eating it as we speak. Typical old time farmer, eaten worse and not dead yet.
    I dare say its skinned and about to be butchered with the bits out to the foxes.

From what he was saying the lumps are hard, and all over. Nothing on the ribs or spine.

Thank guys for your thought.

All the best
    Phil

TB!

Dont move the carcass, phone your local AHVLA.

Unit 1
    Saw Mills End
    Barnwood
    Gloucester, GL4 3DE

Telephone: 01392 266373
    Fax: 01452 627483
    Nightline: 01392 266373
    Last edited by jubnut; 26-03-2014 at 09:58.

What needs to be done to sterilise, larder, knives himself?

he said the gralloch has gone, foxes took it last night. but headless carcass in hanging still

And can he eat it he said...NO! was my answer.lol

Just spoke to them, past over to the on call vet. nothing to worry about. destroy the carcass and gralloch disinfect and carry on.

Fallow are wild roamers so nothing can be done other that what is being done with the live stock so inspect as normal and carry on.

That answers that. but before he gets rid of carcass i want to take a knife to is and have a closer look.

thanks again

Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by activeviii View Post
    before he gets rid of carcass i want to take a knife to is and have a closer look.
    Take you camera in case there is anything else to see.

Rip roaring TB.

Knife can be cleaned by boiling or a whole host of disinfectants. Cleaning off all visible contamination with detergent and overnight in bleach will be fine.

Shame we had to infect the local foxes and badgers with the gralloch isn't it.......

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh6 View Post
    Take you camera in case there is anything else to see.
    +1

Thanks, by the way, to activeviii for posting these photos. Thanks also to Apache for the diagnosis.

Perhaps we could have a "sticky" with photos of diseases in deer?

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

If Admin created a 'deer disease' category in the galleries section we could all upload to it

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    If Admin created a 'deer disease' category in the galleries section we could all upload to it
    Good call

I'll ask Admin.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Good idea. Would want to be set up as a quick reference rather than massive long threads of speculative discussion though. Brief descriptions perhaps with, 'Suspected ..... but unconfirmed' 'confirmed .... name of disease/infection/parasite' as well as other useful info.