Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Farewell to an old friend

Farewell to an old friend

I thought I would post up and share my experience of a particular stag that was a regular on my patch, and has been right from when I first got the place.
    He came on the scene in the rut with a roar of thunder took on all-comers and won every time, and in his prime he was a magnificent beast and has held that ground and his harem right up till last rut when a bigger much younger stag took over the reins.
    Over this time I have taken many videos of him and even posted them on here, built up a kind of relationship and to be honest in the early days I thought it would be prudent to take him out of the equation because of the recurring malfom and promised him to a very generous member on here who has never managed to get over from his bolthole in darkest Norfolk to do the deed.
    I'm glad really because iv enjoyed watching him get to a pinnacle with his head then watch it start to go back, he disappeared for a while and I was convinced that his life had come to an end on someone else's ground.
    Well about a month ago he returned but kept away from the other group of stags, he would often be seen with a small spiker or even the odd hind but never the full herd.
    I made the decision that if I got chance that it felt right to take him, and what a palarva its been iv never had as many sleepless nights its been a real game of cat and mouse what an illusive bugger he's been, I tell you it hasn't been easy it like he had a sixth sense !
    The other week I thought I had sussed him he had taken this particular route for a few mornings, so I positioned my portable high seat in a likely spot every thing was going fine.
    I could see him approaching with a spiker in tow but unfortunately over my boundary the spiker crossed the ditch and walked within 20yds of me but not the malform he stood for a while right on the other side as if he just knew I was there and could wind me but that was impossible seemed to think about it and did a left turn and away !!
    Over the weekend something must happened he was favouring a hind leg , I was having a mooch about and spotted him mid day in the reserve which I can see from my boundary, so out first thing Monday and he still nearly gave me the slip but eventually I got a good chance of him so up with the .300 and it was all over.
    Tell you what im not an emotional person at all but I had a moment of regret and a pang of guilt when I eventually had him in my hands.
    Well I hope another stag gives me as much pleasure but I seriously doubt it. DF

Heres a few pics of him over the years

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bth_DSC00489.jpg 
Views:	386 
Size:	7.0 KB 
ID:	39751Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00615.JPG 
Views:	370 
Size:	574.8 KB 
ID:	39752Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0307.jpg 
Views:	394 
Size:	459.2 KB 
ID:	39754Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0344.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	532.5 KB 
ID:	39755Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0347.jpg 
Views:	366 
Size:	524.4 KB 
ID:	39756

That is one brute of a stag Bob and funny how he kept that deformity through out .I will bet he took some shifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Double four View Post
    Tell you what im not an emotional person at all but I had a moment of regret and a pang of guilt when I eventually had him in my hands.
    Lets face it Bob if we didn't we wouldn't be human would we?
    Sounds like he had had a good life and was nearing the end in any case, were his teeth worn down a little?
    I have been following your story on this and you deserved this beast, and what an animal, there is such mass to his head.
    Congrats
    Cheers
    Richard

[QUOTE=devon deer stalker;758892]Lets face it Bob if we didn't we wouldn't be human would we?
    Sounds like he had had a good life and was nearing the end in any case, were his teeth worn down a little?
    I have been following your story on this and you deserved this beast, and what an animal, there is such mass to his head.
    Congrats
    Cheers
    Richard

Thanks Richard yes there were well worn. a few of us trying to determine his age 7-9 the experts reccon,

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    That is one brute of a stag Bob and funny how he kept that deformity through out .I will bet he took some shifting.
    Yup knackered my little superwinch dragging it and forklift assistance into the trailer lol

Well done Bob, great story.

Nice write up , and good that you gave him his grace in his prime , now you can recall and tell all interested parties on seeing his skull mount for the rest of your life !

a fitting end for an old warrior

I remember the vid you posted and what a cracking animal, sounds like through out his life you have had great memories and finally came back home, will you have him mounted?. As Davey said interesting he always kept the malform, congratulations on finally getting him and by the sounds of things the right time, atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

[QUOTE=Double four;758898]
    Quote Originally Posted by devon deer stalker View Post
    Lets face it Bob if we didn't we wouldn't be human would we?
    Congrats
    Cheers
    Richard

Thanks Richard yes there were well worn. a few of us trying to determine his age 7-9 the experts reccon,
    Your age estimation may well be correct, but 7 ~ 9 is not so old, so I would put him at mature rather than going back, where as a Highland stag is an old man at twelve, (park beasts will reach twenty) I would have thought in softer country (going by the photo) he should have been good for a year or two yet.

You also mention a fair bit of tooth wear again harking back to softer country ,I would not expect a great deal of tooth wear at that age, so he maybe older.

In any case he is an impressive beast,and you should not feel guilt as the man on the ground only you can decide when the time is right.
    Last edited by bogtrotter; 26-03-2014 at 10:18.