Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scope Fitting for a PH 1200 TX

Scope Fitting for a PH 1200 TX

I need to fit a scope to my newly acquired PH1200 TX. There are the little holes to fit blocks and I guess in the rear dovetail where the current iron target sight is fitted.

TBH it'll mainly be used as an iron-sighted target rifle, but I would also like to fit a scope for some work.

If I was to fit a Weaver Rail would I simply screw this into the holes in the rear and where the middle sight block would go? Is there any advantage to a Weaver rail...over PH blocks?

Go for the Weaver rail/mounts over the Parker Hale ones. The Parker Hale mounts are no longer made and the only rings that fit them are also Parker Hale, and also no longer made. Weaver/Picatiny seems to be the accepted standard nowadays and are widely available.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

I got a set of Leupold bases and rings for mine from Optics Warehouse, I think I paid less than 40 for the lot and have never had a problem with them. I only went down the Leupold route because a mate fitted a Weaver rail and had problems with the empty case, sometimes hitting the rail and falling onto the new round and causing a jam. This problem may have been with his rifle but I have never had the same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner269 View Post
    ...a mate fitted a Weaver rail and had problems with the empty case, sometimes hitting the rail and falling onto the new round and causing a jam...
    It's a fair point, though as it's single shot it should be less of an issue.

Mind you it has a sprung floor plate...what's that all about...?

Quote Originally Posted by Toxster View Post
    It's a fair point, though as it's single shot it should be less of an issue.

Mind you it has a sprung floor plate...what's that all about...?
    Simple it allows the cartridges head to ride up under the extractor. The 1200TX of course has the full length Mauser extractor so is controlled round feed. A solid platform would mean trying to force the extractors claw over the rim and it would eventually break the tip of the claw.

Blimey, shows how little the guy selling it knew, he thought it meant it was a two shot....

Quote Originally Posted by Toxster View Post
    Blimey, shows how little the guy selling it knew, he thought it meant it was a two shot....
    Some how I am not surprised. I gave up being surprised even at RFD's lack of knowledge about British made rifles a aloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time ago. Have also given up trying to help them by informing them what model they are offering if I happen to know. Most either get offended at your knowing more than them about the particular rifle or they simply don't want to know or don't care.

Many owners of rifles who are not in the trade also know little to nothing about their rifles mind you today many know nowt about their cars either . As long as it's got the fashionable badge on it that's about all they care.

I think I might get the PH bits for now, then see how the ejection port fairs. I'm also lost as to how to fit the Weaver rail as the holes at the rear and at the front of the action are diffferently sized.

The trigger was terrible to start with, but thanks to a thread on here with Brithunter's pic of the unit, I managed to get it adjusted enough so the safety would function. Trigger seems ok now, but there's grittiness in the pull, though only when the bolt is present, which I guess means a bolt strip.

The rifle itself seems pretty underused, the rifling is the sharpest I've ever seen and the stock looks like it's been in a cupboard for 30 years. The crud on the trigger suggests that it was put away and not fired for at least a decade, since the grease has gone solid.

Just a shame the stock has lost a half inch, I'll sort this though.

Will get some pics tonight if I get time.